GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Inferior OEM Speakers

I have just had the fourth OEM speaker fail on my 2002 Chevrolet Suburban that I have owned for five years. In fact, I have had one specific speaker fail twice. I replaced with GM OEM speakers each time. As an electrical engineer (and a former TV repairman), I took apart all of the dead speakers and found that they all failed for the same reason - manufacturing defect. The connection between the flexible wires going to the speaker voice coil broke in every speaker at exactly the same point. I would hazard a guess that the person making the connection did not appreciated the fragile nature of the #36 gauge speaker voice coil wire. At the recommendation of a fellow forum member, I bought two after-market speakers from Crutchfield. Crutchfield supplied mounting rings which interfaced exactly with the doors for a quick installation. They also supplied adapters which interfaced with the factory wiring harness. Best of all, I bought two after market speakers for less than the cost of one GM OEM speaker wholesale. And before you ask - this Suburban is not driven by a teenager and my heavy metal days were over about 30 years ago

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

What do you listen to? Is it a Bose system? What speakers did you go with from CF?

And for the (and a former TV repairman), remark.. I bet you have a Awesome set of tools.... What movie is that from???
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

When you say the fourth speaker failed, do you mean you had four separte OE speakers and they all failed or this is the same speaker that keeps failing and gets replaced witha another OE speaker?

All four of the OE speakers in my 2001 Silverado eventually failed but they took a while. I replaced all my speakers about a year ago with some nice after-markets from Crutchfield.
    Clint (TX) 2001 Silverado LS 4.8L auto 2wd ECSB [GARAGE]
    Gasoline or gunpowder: If you ain't burning one, you ain't having fun!
    NRA Endowment Member 5 24 48 88 - Hendrick Motorsports FTW!

Time for an upgrade buddy.
    2000 Silverado 5.3L Z71 4x4: K&N air filter, Procomp 16x8 rims, 285/70R16 Toyo AT2s, Kenwood head unit, Alpine 500.1 amp, 12" kicker, Infinity 5.25" speakers, Bilstein HD shocks, EBC GD Sport dimple & slotted front rotors w. EBC green stuff pads, Brembo slotted rear rotors & HIDs.

I had four speakers fail in three different locations: RF, LF (twice) and LR. It is the YE9 sound system, not the Bose system. Yes, it's time for an upgrade - I've already got the front speakers replaced. I used the Sound Ordinance P-65 speakers from Crutchfield. The quote is from "Fast Times at Ridgemont High."

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Evans View Post
    I had four speakers fail in three different locations: RF, LF (twice) and LR. It is the YE9 sound system, not the Bose system. Yes, it's time for an upgrade - I've already got the front speakers replaced. I used the Sound Ordinance P-65 speakers from Crutchfield. The quote is from "Fast Times at Ridgemont High."

Very good..
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X