GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

View Poll Results: Do you use quick lubes?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Never

14 70.00%
  • Always

2 10.00%
  • Sometimes

4 20.00%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Their are normally big differences between "quick lube" shops and certified Mfgr dealers.
    That being said I have seen dealerships that I wouldnt even park my vehicle on the lot, but a good dealership is normally much better than the best quick lube shop.
    I know a few owners of quick lube shops and their only interest is profit margin which is why they normally end up with zombies working for for them that will do the job for pay rates that would be an insult to a real mechanic.
    I use the local GM dealer for our vehicles that are under warranty and change the oil myself on the rest of my vehicles.
    The local dealer knows me well, and yes I possibly get special treatment since the owner is an aquaintance, the lead shop mehanic is the only one that touchs my truck for any work including oil changes.

McClintock your in Dallas, next time you need to change oil get a hold of me and you welcome to use my garage and any tools you might need for an oil change. Im in Grand Prairie at I20 and 360, less than a mile from the end of 121.

back when I was a kid, I had a pretty hot 5.0 mustang with a decent dress kit on it. I got the oil changed one time and they were just morons, said that they couldn't reach the filter ... I was like, "I've never had a problem getting it and neither has anyone else..."

I looked under the hood the next day and a lot of the chrome was taken off my hood, including a pretty fancy air filter cleaner cover spinning nut (not quite a wingnut, can't remember what it's called) ... course I coudlnt' prove who did it.

So, I do still go into the quick lube places, but I stay outside with my vehicle and I talk to the people doing the work and let them know that I know a thing or two about cars and that I check the oil levels when I leave ... just stuff to keep them honest.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    Follow Us Please: facebook.com/gmtruckclub | twitter.com/gmtruckclub
    Support GMTC: Help the site, contribute today

Legend

Blog Entries

I always change my fluids as it does save some money but more importantly to me, it also helps to identify any other problems or potential problems as it forces me to get up under my truck and hood on a regular basis and take a look around.

Mike (Denver, CO) - 2008 Sierra 1500 Z71 SLE 5.3L 4WD

SUSPENSION: Rancho 4" Suspension Lift; Rancho RS9000XL Shocks; Rancho Skid Plates; Rancho MyRide Wireless Shock Controller;
    TIRES:
    BFG All Terrain KO 315/70/17
    DRIVE TRAIN: 4.56 Gears; Detroit TrueTrac Differential; True Cool 40k Transmission Cooler
    PERFORMANCE: DiableSport Predator Tuner; Custom Tuned by Diablew; Magnaflow Exhaust; AFE Cold Air Intake
    ELECTRONICS: Kenwood DNX6180 Touchscreen; Subthump box w/10" Kicker; Driver Information Center (DIC); Rear View Camera
    ACCESSORIES: Westin Brush/Grill Gaurd; Westin Nerf Bars; Truxedo Tonneau; 20% Tint; Tow Mirrors w/Heat & Signals

With all the Jiffy Lube scams that local news have reported, you're lucky if bad work is even performed.

2013 Silverado LTZ White Diamond Crew Cab

Mods:
    Advent OGM1 Navigation
    Husky Liners GearBox Underseat Storage
    Airaid MIT
    EGR Rail Caps
    K&N Air Filter
    Flowsound 40 Muffler
    Hypertech Max Energy Tune (only top end limiter removed and AFM disabled)
    Chrome Tailgate Handle Cover
    TonnoPro HF-155 Tonneau Cover
    WeatherTech Front and Rear Splash Guards
    Husky Liners X-Act Contour Floor Liners
    WeatherTech Side Window Deflectors

Post quick lube, ewwww spit

I had the tech come to me and show me my automatic trans fluid, asking me to smell it, burnt as he put it, My truck at the time was a 5 speed with 90 wt, lol. I ask him to change the oil once again and button it up, it was over priced, and had stupid people working on sales and not service,that was my first and last experience with a quick lube type outfit. as a fleet driver at one time I used the red place with fire, to service my fleet vehicle, every time I would get it back, oil would be on the fender from the fill hose, a cap under the hood would be sitting on the fender well, the door panel would be well oiled as would be the steering wheel, it showed me they had no pride in the work there. My rado goes to the dealer only for service I do not do myself, I know the service manager, we are old harley buds from way back, I trust him, and its correct and clean each time I get it back, service work if you go this route is one of the most important things you will do to your ride, ya better know whats going on and that they are doing a professional grade job for you.
    Life is short compared to history

Rick (summitwhite11)

Well....I do a pretty "quick" job of oil change in my driveway. Does that count? I have not considered using a quick-lube since many years ago, when I put a very small scratch on the outside of the oil filter in my wife's car before she took it to a quick-lube. When she got home, the outside of the filter looked new, but the small scratch was still where I put it. That was maybe 30 years ago, and I have not been near one since.
    Las Vegas, NV...2001 Silverado 1500 LT Z71 Stepside X-cab, 171,000 miles, 5.3, cat-back duals, leveling kit, 3.73, 17" rims, more to come...

I am my own quick lube lol
    Chuckie!!!

I change my own...funny story about oil change though. My buddy's mom had a 85 cavalier and he told me that his dad always took the car to the same lube place to get the oil changed. as the car started to get high mileage on it he wasnt sure if he quit getting the oil changed or the lube place never changed the filter but the filter actually rusted until oil poured on the ground where he parked it. luckily they seen it and it didnt have any problems.. was real tough getting a rotted filter off though. Funny thing also was I ended up buying that car for 500 bucks to get me by for a couple months before I scrapped it.

2011 Silverado CrewCab 5.3L*Ram Air Look Cowl Induction Reflexxion Hood*6" Pro Comp Lift*Flowmaster Dual exhaust*Perfect Launch Rear Diff. Cover*Led Smoke Taillights*L.E.D.Smoke 3rd Brakelight*60" L.E.D. Tailgate Bar*Rearview Mirror Reverse Camera and Sensors*Smoke Headlight Covers*Front Bumper Grill Insert*Deezee Black Alum. Diamond Rail covers*20" Ultra Motorsports Rims wrapped with 35.5"B.F. Goodrich Tires*Inchannel Raingaurds*CAI*Bullydog GT Tuner*Alpine Amp*Boss 6x9's*Boston Acoustic Subs*Terrantula Tweeters*Custom Sub box*Red Led Interior Accents*5% Ultimacool duo tint rear window and doors, 20% front doors*Custom Vinyl Graphics*Demolded*Debadged*Painted drums and calipers*
    Future Mods Include: Custom Interior Hydrographics, Electronic Rollup Toneau Cover, 4.56 Gears, Painted rear bumper

Sr. Apprentice

Last month I spent an hour getting my son's drain plug out of his Malibu after Wal-Mart cross threaded it. I was suprised it even sealed. It's not worth the health of your ride to depend on their ignorance or dishonesty!!!!!!!
    1998 1500 w/t short bed 4.3

I have never been comfortable with the quick lube places. I realize that many will use them because they have some good specials sometimes and they are in and out in a timely manner. But if I wasn't doing my own, I would go to an independent shop to get my fluids changed. Sure, not as quick, but if you call ahead and set a time to be there, they will usually fit you in and get you out in a timely manner. Not as cheap as the quick lubes, but this is one of those things that you get what you pay for. You will have the job done properly and the vehicle checked thoroughly.
    2013 Silverado 1500 LT Z-71 Crew. 5.3L Auto. Range AFM Delete, PCV Catch Can, RC Leveling kit, Dynomax Ultra Flo cat back, Airaid M.I.T.

2013 Freightliner Columbia. pre-EGR Detroit 12.7L 500 hp 1850 lb torque, 18 speed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12