GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Bowtie69 View Post
    I may do that in the future. I am going to switch the front rotors to drilled/slotted to give me better stopping power. I like to tow my boat a lot on weekends and I have read that this type of rotor and a good pad combination will give me better stopping power under load/towing conditions.

I am also going to put a front leveling kit in. How hard is this to do?
    for starters i would say, stay with just slotted rotors...
    also as far as leveling kits, ive used spring spacers, strut spacers. and flat out replaced struts....
    ill tell you the best deal if you have the strut suspension system, because i recently convinced a friend on the same thing, is buy the rancho quick lift struts, its a complete replacement strut and spring assembly for a VERY good price. also it has 9 adjustable positions for shock sensitivity. my friend loves the ride... search around for the type of leveling kit you would like, but from my experience with all types of leveling kits (well never done torsion bars), the rancho strut is by far the best one
    2000 Chevrolet Silverado

Powertrain:
    4.3L V6, 4L60E, 2WD, Single Cab
    Performance:
    Airaid CAI
    Poweraid TB Spacer
    Flowmaster 10-series exhaust (dumped)
    BLACKBEAR TUNED!!!
    Edge CS insight monitor
    4.10 gears
    Limited-slip differential
    LS-1 Dual Electric fans
    Corvette tranny servo swap

Audio:
    Head Unit: Alpine
    Speakers: Alpine SPR-60C 6.5" component set, 4X6 Infinity Kappas
    Subs: 2-12" Kicker CVT's
    Amps: Alpine-M1000 (subs), Alpine MRX-F65 (Speakers)

Tires/Wheels:
    305/70R16 NITTO Terra Grapplers
    16" PROCOMP 7089's
    Suspension:
    2" leveling kit
    3" Fabtech Spindle Lift Kit
    Front/Rear-Bilstein 5100 shocks

Lighting:
    FRONT
    35W HID Low Beams
    RECON LED smoked roof cab lights
    REAR
    HELLA LED taillights and 3rd brakelight
    HELLA FF-75 Aux. Reverse Lamps
    RIGID dually D2, flush mount, wide beam
    Accessories:
    Hawk HPS Brake pads
    Russell braided steel brake lines
    Powerstop-red powdercoated brake calipers
    Powerslot Cryo brake rotors
    EGR in-channel window visors

Sr. Mechanic

After towing a 5,500 pound travel trailer 8,000 miles in 8 months around this beautiful country of ours, someone needs to tell how these things don't stop well, because I traveled over every type of highway imaginable and had zero issues. I towed with a 2011-5.3 Crew Cab Silverado.

Please enlighten me...please!

On Edit-the truck was 100% stock.
    Last edited by CKNSLS; 09-19-2013 at 12:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by davidandrew View Post
    Disc brakes are very good. Change it to disc brakes.
    The OP won't get any benefit of changing rear drums to discs, except a lighter wallet.

2013 Silverado LTZ White Diamond Crew Cab

Mods:
    Advent OGM1 Navigation
    Husky Liners GearBox Underseat Storage
    Airaid MIT
    EGR Rail Caps
    K&N Air Filter
    Flowsound 40 Muffler
    Hypertech Max Energy Tune (only top end limiter removed and AFM disabled)
    Chrome Tailgate Handle Cover
    TonnoPro HF-155 Tonneau Cover
    WeatherTech Front and Rear Splash Guards
    Husky Liners X-Act Contour Floor Liners
    WeatherTech Side Window Deflectors

Need to move this to the tech area.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    Follow Us Please: facebook.com/gmtruckclub | twitter.com/gmtruckclub
    Support GMTC: Help the site, contribute today

Moved to General Tech
    '98 K1500 Suburban LS 5.7 L 4L60E NV246 ARB
    '92 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0 L A4LD BW13-54 Trac-loc rear
    "My toys were the greasy cogs and springs and pistons that lay around all over the place, and these, I can promise you, were far more fun to play with than most of the plastic rubbish children are given nowadays." Danny in Roald Dahl's Danny The Champion of the World

I used to have the opinion that to get a great set of rear brakes I had to have disc's.
    after years of spending money on swaps, including bigger wheels, different master cylinders, BVP's and a long list of other parts I realized my brakes were only getting marginally better on each vehicle.
    I had a discussion once with an engineer for a major brake parts mfgr, he volunteered a saturday afternoon to look at the truck I was building at the time (99 Tacoma long term project I still own) and showed me the mistakes I was making with the brake system.
    Whens the last time you flushed and changed brake fluid? Brake fluid should be changed about every 3 years for max effectiveness.
    What type shoes and pads are being used? An effective brake system is gonna see wear on rotors, drums, shoes, and pads, heat/friction is a product of stopping.
    How is the brake bias set-up? Most factory bias systems are ok for a moderately loaded truck but dont compensate as well when heavily loaded, why, compensation would compromise braking on an unloaded truck the way the system limits and design are, most trucks spend 80-90% of their time unloaded, the average pick up driver will never use his vehicle at or near its limits. Lets face it society has turned trucks into a family sedan with an open trunk.
    Big wheels and tires, larger wheels and tires, unsprung weight affects stopping power a lot, if your gonna go larger wheels and tires you really need to stuff all that newfound space with larger brakes.
    When towing braking becomes an issue mainly due to the fact so many drivers have no clue how to correctly balance their tow and set it up for the truck. Many drivers have a mistaken belief tongue load is the only worry.
    The truck and trailer must be flat when connected, but you also need to ensure the load is distributed evenly over the trailer.
    To much weight one side or the other from the balance point and you get nose up or down which changes brake bias instantly but this change isnt reacted to by the truck brake system as fast.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12