GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default 1997 GMC seirra Oil leak

I had noticed about a month ago there was an oil leak on my truck, it was just a drop like everyone once in a while. Now it is leaking to the point where I have no oil in my truck in about 3-4 days. I put oil in it everyday, I have checked underneath the truck, but all the oil has blown back and I can't find out where it is leaking from. I'm supposed to be trading it, and the trade may not happen if I don't fix it. Any ideas?

Sounds like the rear main seal if it's going back so far you can't tell where it's coming from.

Not so much of an easy fix...

This should give you an idea

It could be that or the oil filter adapter lines, those are known issues. I would buy a can of degreaser and go at it. You need to remove the old stuff to find that leak. If it is that bad you should not have an issue finding it.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    It could be that or the oil filter adapter lines, those are known issues. I would buy a can of degreaser and go at it. You need to remove the old stuff to find that leak. If it is that bad you should not have an issue finding it.
    I had found the leak, it was the oil filter adapter lines. I just bought them, and it is all fix. Thanks!

Are the adapter lines where the oil filter screws into? I too have an oil leak but don't know where its coming from. Looks like the oil pan gasket but I'm not sure. The oil pan is the lowest point so it may be coming from above. How hard are the adapter lines to replace? Is it a weekend job? Also, what about the oil pan? Thanks in advance
    -K&N Air Filter

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith4816 View Post
    Are the adapter lines where the oil filter screws into? I too have an oil leak but don't know where its coming from. Looks like the oil pan gasket but I'm not sure. The oil pan is the lowest point so it may be coming from above. How hard are the adapter lines to replace? Is it a weekend job? Also, what about the oil pan? Thanks in advance
    I haven't had to change my oil pan, so I do not know how long it would take. I would assume it would take 3-4 hours. The oil adapter lines are where the oil filter is. They go from there to the front of the truck. It took me about 3 hours to change them. The bottom adapter line is quite easy to get off, its the top one that is a little bit harder.

If it is the rear main seal or oil pan or both like with my truck just bring it to a mechanic. Its a pain in the ass to do the repair and you need to remove many vehicle parts. For the rear main you will need a tranny jack and experience removing the flywheel and tranny. i tried to do the fix my self but you need many special tools so I had the truck towed to a good shop and they finished the job.

The adapter lines are easy as are the adapter gaskets which some times leak. (my truck had no gaskets there)
    Last edited by Conlan Rose; 10-03-2013 at 08:30 AM.

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

Thats what I was thinking. If its the adapter line, then I will take care of it, but if not, then I will take it somewhere. Just dont know where to go now, since I just relocated. @Pikey, know any good shops around the Madison Heights area?

I know a guy up in shelby township, only one I know on that side of town. He is good, has fair prices, and a vending machine with beer in it. Just select high octane! Those adapter lines have orings in them, sometimes you can just replace the oring. I will PM you the info

Legend

River Ridge Louisiana-4 miles W of New Orleans-didn't flood-water stopped 800 yards away.

Beer vending machine?
    Michigan huh- too far from new orleans-but good mechanic fair prices
    AND a beer vending machine
    Just the good mechanic fair prices would be worth a 400 mile roundtrip-it is THAT hard to find good mechanics-the beer machine-probably worth another 100 miles!!
    Surprised there isn't some CS law against beer vending machines-I don't smoke-but noticed I never see cigarette machines anymore-
    1998 suburban-
    1/2 ton

199500 miles
    River
    Ridge,LA

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by