GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

View Poll Results: Do you carry a fire extinguisher in your truck?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

6 40.00%
  • No

9 60.00%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 Last Post byLast Post by

How much room you have between the seat and the drivers door?
    Thats where we mount them on our work trucks, readily accessable.

Legend

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 99'HEARTBEAT View Post
    I've always carried a Fire Extinguishers, in this Truck, and the other Vehicles I've Owned, on this Truck, its mounted to the Under Rear Seat Storage Unit, its easy to get to,

Good idea!

......And seats are still looking sharp

Mike (Denver, CO) - 2008 Sierra 1500 Z71 SLE 5.3L 4WD

SUSPENSION: Rancho 4" Suspension Lift; Rancho RS9000XL Shocks; Rancho Skid Plates; Rancho MyRide Wireless Shock Controller;
    TIRES:
    BFG All Terrain KO 315/70/17
    DRIVE TRAIN: 4.56 Gears; Detroit TrueTrac Differential; True Cool 40k Transmission Cooler
    PERFORMANCE: DiableSport Predator Tuner; Custom Tuned by Diablew; Magnaflow Exhaust; AFE Cold Air Intake
    ELECTRONICS: Kenwood DNX6180 Touchscreen; Subthump box w/10" Kicker; Driver Information Center (DIC); Rear View Camera
    ACCESSORIES: Westin Brush/Grill Gaurd; Westin Nerf Bars; Truxedo Tonneau; 20% Tint; Tow Mirrors w/Heat & Signals

Quote Originally Posted by tbplus10 View Post
    How much room you have between the seat and the drivers door?
    Thats where we mount them on our work trucks, readily accessable.
    No sure on the real world measurements, but there's definitely a few inches space there. Wish I could measure right now, but I'm at college and my truck is back home. Here a pic of the area there. There are more pics in my interior pics album.

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

Legend

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stchman View Post
    Before this thread I never thought about it. I guess because vehicles catching on fire are rare.

Any suggestions as to where to put an extinguisher?
    I'm not sure if the crew is the same as the extended but mine is placed under the passenger's side back seat. I have a sub-thump box on the driver's side back seat and I used particle board and matching carpet to extend the Sub-Thump box over to the passenger's side back seat; which created a great storage area and a firm place to mount my fire extinguisher and inverter.

I do and I'm a fireman also. I have two in my bed box.
    02 Z71 stock (for now) 5.3 l

I don't yet have any in my vehicles, though I do take the one from the house when I drive the deuce any real distance.

Any suggestions where I can find affordable extinguishers? Home Depot and Amazon have them for the same price which is around $40 for a 10 pounder. Regardless I need them, but when I should be buying 5 of them, it gets expensive.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 265K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

I live just south of Philadelphia, small community that sits on the Delaware River.

Oh Yeah, I carry a fire extinguisher and have for 25 years. Along with a small medical kit, 10.00 pound tow rope , flears and note paper and a lead pencil.

I need to buy one for my 09 Silverado, a couple of good places: Under the rear Crew Cab seats behind where the Jack/tire changing kit is, or in under the jumper seat in the center of the front row seats, possible one in the top clam shell on top of the glove compartment.

My question is, are those automotive extinguishers good to stay inside of a vehicle for as long as until they are used "in case of a fire". I'm not jacking the thread, my question simply is: is it okay to leave it in the car 365 days a year come freezing weather to blistering summers?

Hakuna Matata!

I have left mine in my boat in the blistering heat and freezing weather. It was fine when I needed it. It was about 2 years old.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Most extinguishers are charged with CF3BR or equivalent and have a powder or foam chemical that does the actual fire smothering which normally makes them safe for a temperature range of -30 to 150deg.
    The most important thing to check is ensuring the safety pin cant accidently come out and cause accidental discharge and the charge or pressure gauge is in the green.
    Also remember once used, even partially and a fire extinguisher is done.
    When using its always safest to ensure the extinguisher is fully discharged before placing back in your vehicle.
    Most exstinguishers cant be recharged, use once and dispose of, if your unsure of disposal most fire stations will take them.
    If possible prior to discharging an extinguisher try to ground it out, extinguishers build up static electricity that can zap you good.
    Always aim at the base of a fire for best results, and if the fire has liquids dont push them around as this may cause the fire to spread, try to coat or smother a fire.

11. Likes mfleetwood liked this post