GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 97 gmc 1500 4WD Problem

So I've noticed a problem with my 4WD. I don't know if it is the button or it is the actuator. It will kick it every once in a while. I will put it in neutral, and try all the buttons I even hold them in for a few seconds and it won't kick on. The lights do not light up.

Could be the switch on the dash. Check your fuses for 4WD too.

If at first you don't succeed, chances are, you are using too small of a cheater bar

Current:
    1999 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 | 5.3 Vortec | Spectre Cold Air Intake | TransDapt TBS | Hypertech 30005 Tune | 2005 Chevy Tails | Denali headlights | AWS Bug Shield | 265/75/16 Mastercraft Courser A/T | "Ghetto" painted tailgate | Boss HD Speakers | 2005 Overhead Console | Dual Thrush Turbo Mufflers
    Future:
    Bigger Amp Alternator | Electric Fans | Oil/Trans Fluid cooler | Re-done exhaust | Paint | Interior Restoration/upgrade with newer model stuff | Window Visors (In channel) | Tint | Low-Profile Tool Box | LEDs throughout stock cab locations | And whatever is spurr of the moment
    US Navy Sailor :sign0011:

Quote Originally Posted by smithsonian12 View Post
    The lights do not light up.
    None of the lights? The 2wd light is not on all the time? If that is the case then I would pull the switch out and check the connections on the back. If that is not the culprit then open the switch and check the solder connections.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

its your shift acutator.... im 99% sure. there know for wigging out befor they go out. mine did the same thing and it fixed the issue.
    2004 gmc sierra ext z71 5.3
    PERFORMANCE...
    KB racing hot pipes 3.5" : 76mm turbo: 4l80e : Circle-d 2b multi disk :Walbro 400 : Racetronix Hotwire kit : TB coolant bypass : Nelson 91 Pcm : Tr 220 Cam : Brian Tooley double springs kit : Ls7 Lifters : Stage 3 heads : Custom Intake Manifold :80lb Injectors : Ported TB : 40k tranny cooler: Plx dm-100 gauge: Auto meter fuel and boost gauge:
    APPEARANCE...
    Custom Speedo : Leveling kit :Smoked led taillights and 3rd break light : Black projectors and fogs with hids : Blacked out grille : 33's on 16's : Clarion flip screen: sound que 12" subs: clerion 6x9's : Memhpis amps: Alpine componet set.
    Future mods... Detriot tru-trac, deviels own stage 2 meth kit, MORE BOOST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by darnie1987 View Post
    its your shift acutator.... im 99% sure. there know for wigging out befor they go out. mine did the same thing and it fixed the issue.
    I am having a similar issue with my '97 suburban..I changed the dash switch and it still did not illuminate in 2wd. When you indicated it's the actuator. Is it the one on the front differential or the one on the transmission?
    Thanks,

I don't think that the actuator would cause the 2wd light not to function. Crawl under the truck and check all the connections at the transfer case. unplug them and then plug them back in. It could just be a corroded connection or it may be the encoder motor on the t-case

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    I don't think that the actuator would cause the 2wd light not to function. Crawl under the truck and check all the connections at the transfer case. unplug them and then plug them back in. It could just be a corroded connection or it may be the encoder motor on the t-case
    OK,
    here's another part of the story....the tcase will engage in 4w lo..IIR, both lights (4whi and 4wlo) on the switch will illuminate. I know the 4wd system is working as I checked it in the snow. So, given this info, I would suspect the encoder moter is the source of the problem..the one on the transfer case?

is it switching into 2wd just no light??? If that is the case you may just have an issue at the connector for the switch. If it is switching between 2wd and 4wd then the encoder is ok

- - - Updated - - -

Again, A bad front actuator is not going to make the 2wd light not work

1995 Silverado 4x4

2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

[QUOTE=Pikey;583732]is it switching into 2wd just no light??? If that is the case you may just have an issue at the connector for the switch. If it is switching between 2wd and 4wd then the encoder is ok

Thanks again for all of the help.
    The yellow lights come on, both 2wd and 4wd when I initially start the truck( I guess they blink a few times so you can tell they're working). I did notice that the lights that illuminate the switch during night driving ( like the heater,radio and other dash lights) don't come on at all?
    It will engage 4wd but only 4lo and both yellow 4wd lights are illuminated when it does, very strange.- - - Updated - - -

This is the video you need: