GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1

    Default Bad day for my Chevys. S10, major water leak, won't start

    All around bad day for my two Chevys. First my Suburban got rear-ended.... then my S10 blew something on the intake manifold. Driving down the highway, there was a loud pop, then it lost all power. Got it off the road and shut it down. Found coolant all of the engine bay. Now it won't start. Did a pressure test on the cooling system and coolant was spewing from between the intake manifold and the valve cover. I guess it's the manifold gasket.

    What I'm really asking here is why won't it start now? Would a bad manifold gasket cause a no start problem? It cranks just fine.
    2003 Chevy Suburban LT~2000 Chevy S10 LS~2003 SAAB 9-5 Arc~2004 Mazda6i~1966 Ford Mustang Coupe

  2. #2

    Default

    Bad head gasket could be allowing water in the cylinders, water diluted gas doesnt compress and ignite well.
    Just a heads up, if there is coolant in the cylinders it wont compress well, countinued cranking on the starter could get you some bent or broken internal parts along with oil and coolant mixing which wont lubricat internal parts at all.

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tbplus10 View Post
    Bad head gasket could be allowing water in the cylinders, water diluted gas doesnt compress and ignite well.
    Just a heads up, if there is coolant in the cylinders it wont compress well, countinued cranking on the starter could get you some bent or broken internal parts along with oil and coolant mixing which wont lubricat internal parts at all.
    I'm hoping it's not a head gasket. Water comes out the top. Would that indicate a bad HG? I'll have post a pic later of where I see it leaking. I may do a compression test tomorrow just in case.
    2003 Chevy Suburban LT~2000 Chevy S10 LS~2003 SAAB 9-5 Arc~2004 Mazda6i~1966 Ford Mustang Coupe

  4. #4

    Default

    The 2.8 V6 S10 that I had, used a metal tube to move coolant from the manifold to (I think) the side of the block. I don't remember if the S10 with a 4.3 V6 used this tube.

    I do remember the tube on the 2.8 leaking. Mine wasn't a big leak, but big enough to cover the engine and the plugs with coolant.

    I was driving to a hunting camp, after dark, when the engine started to run rough. I was able to temp patch the leak and I got to the camp. The next day we washed the engine and put a better temp repair on the tube.

    The point of the story is, you may have this tube (which is an easy fix) and you do have coolant all over the engine and probably the plugs and the wires. Wet plug wires do not fire.
    Ray

    '09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

  5. #5

    Default

    Okay, here's a terrible photo. Circled is where the leak is.


    Untitled by threeliterturbo, on Flickr
    2003 Chevy Suburban LT~2000 Chevy S10 LS~2003 SAAB 9-5 Arc~2004 Mazda6i~1966 Ford Mustang Coupe

  6. #6
    Master Mechanic BurbanMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Dolores, CO
    Posts
    794

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by J-Rod View Post
    Okay, here's a terrible photo. Circled is where the leak is. Untitled by threeliterturbo, on Flickr
    did you get it figured out?

    looks like the intake gasket blew real good and is letting water into the cylinder.
    Chuckie!!!


  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BurbanMan View Post
    did you get it figured out?

    looks like the intake gasket blew real good and is letting water into the cylinder.
    Yes, I did. I was just the intake manifold gasket. When it blew it soaked all the plug wires and distributor which is why it wouldn't start. I used compressed air to blow out all the water and dried everything off then it fired right up. Although the damage was done...I had to replace all of the wires and distributor then put on a new manifold gasket and it went back to racking up the miles every day. That is until a brake line rusted in half....that's been fixed though and all is well now.
    2003 Chevy Suburban LT~2000 Chevy S10 LS~2003 SAAB 9-5 Arc~2004 Mazda6i~1966 Ford Mustang Coupe

  8. #8
    Master Mechanic BurbanMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Dolores, CO
    Posts
    794

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by J-Rod View Post
    Yes, I did. I was just the intake manifold gasket. When it blew it soaked all the plug wires and distributor which is why it wouldn't start. I used compressed air to blow out all the water and dried everything off then it fired right up. Although the damage was done...I had to replace all of the wires and distributor then put on a new manifold gasket and it went back to racking up the miles every day. That is until a brake line rusted in half....that's been fixed though and all is well now.
    dang. One problem after another for A time huh
    Chuckie!!!


  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BurbanMan View Post
    dang. One problem after another for A time huh
    Oh there for awhile I wanted to trade all the cars for horses! In the span of a couple weeks this happened to the S10, our Suburban got hit, our Mazda blew the transmission, and my Saab blew the alternator. Only car not affected was my Mustang, but that's only because I didn't drive it. haha Luckily the whole fleet is behaving right now... **knock on wood**
    2003 Chevy Suburban LT~2000 Chevy S10 LS~2003 SAAB 9-5 Arc~2004 Mazda6i~1966 Ford Mustang Coupe

  10. #10
    Master Mechanic BurbanMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Dolores, CO
    Posts
    794

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by J-Rod View Post
    Oh there for awhile I wanted to trade all the cars for horses! In the span of a couple weeks this happened to the S10, our Suburban got hit, our Mazda blew the transmission, and my Saab blew the alternator. Only car not affected was my Mustang, but that's only because I didn't drive it. haha Luckily the whole fleet is behaving right now... **knock on wood**
    That's amazing all on its own lol
    Chuckie!!!


Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •