GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Service 4wd light

Hello all,

Recently when i went to take our 2002 GMC Yukon XL 1500 out of 4wd, i lost all lights on the transfer case control switch and the service 4wd light came on in the panel. I replaced the transfer case control switch, but that did not solve the problem. I still have no lights on in the control switch and still have the warning light "service 4wd" Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    John

So I'm goin to guess that it will not shift into 4wd now?

If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger cheater bar.

Current:
    1999 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 | 5.3 "Vortec" | Spectre "Cold Air Intake" | TransDapt TBS | Hypertech 30005 Tune | 2005 Chevy Tail Lights | Denali headlights | Grill Mounted Fog Lights | AWS Bug Shield | 265/70/16 Futura Scramblers | Boss HD Speakers | 2005 Overhead Console | Flowmaster Super 40 mufflers 2N1O | Mostly stock-ish
    Future:
    Bigger Amp Alternator | Electric Fans | Transmission Fluid cooler | Paint (Halfway there)| Interior Restoration/Upgrade with newer model parts | Window Visors (In channel) | Tint | Low-Profile Tool Box | LEDs throughout stock cab locations (68% Done) | And whatever is spurr of the moment
    CVN-69 "IKE-ATRAZ" AIR/V-2 Gear Dawgs

its more than ikely your shift acutator motor. and or the silanoid in side " looks like a small black donut"
    2004 gmc sierra ext z71 5.3
    PERFORMANCE...
    KB racing hot pipes 3.5" : 76mm turbo: 4l80e : Circle-d 2b multi disk :Walbro 400 : Racetronix Hotwire kit : TB coolant bypass : Nelson 91 Pcm : Tr 220 Cam : Brian Tooley double springs kit : Ls7 Lifters : Stage 3 heads : Custom Intake Manifold :80lb Injectors : Ported TB : 40k tranny cooler: Plx dm-100 gauge: Auto meter fuel and boost gauge:
    APPEARANCE...
    Custom Speedo : Leveling kit :Smoked led taillights and 3rd break light : Black projectors and fogs with hids : Blacked out grille : 33's on 16's : Clarion flip screen: sound que 12" subs: clerion 6x9's : Memhpis amps: Alpine componet set.
    Future mods... Detriot tru-trac, deviels own stage 2 meth kit, MORE BOOST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So i decided to look at everything again and i found a "atc" fuse that was blown and it ended up being the problem all along! Yes, I feel stupid! But glad the problem is fixed!

Quote Originally Posted by johnlazelle View Post
    So i decided to look at everything again and i found a "atc" fuse that was blown and it ended up being the problem all along! Yes, I feel stupid! But glad the problem is fixed!
    No worries boss. Glad you could get it fixed for .05$ lol

glad thats all it was. my bad i though u said u checked the fuses... but its better than a actuator motor

I posted a little while back about a 4wd problem on my 05 Yukon, now I can't find the post or figure out how to make a new post. Any way , after taking the dash switch apart and seeing nothing wrong with it, I put it back in. Since then, the battery has gone dead twice and now the neutral lite is on but it's in 2wd. Hooboys

Quote Originally Posted by johnlazelle View Post
    Hello all,

Recently when i went to take our 2002 GMC Yukon XL 1500 out of 4wd, i lost all lights on the transfer case control switch and the service 4wd light came on in the panel. I replaced the transfer case control switch, but that did not solve the problem. I still have no lights on in the control switch and still have the warning light "service 4wd" Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    John
    I had the same problem, 2 computer scans said it was the motor, but it turns out it was the sensor on the motor