GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default What trans do I have

New here, So Hi all.
    I have a 2001 2500 Sub LT 4x4 with 8.1 l engine. How do I tell what trans I have. I'm just wondering because what everyone says about Allison trans. also how haed is it to put a leveling kit on. My back is shot (5 surgeries on my back) so I dont want to start it and not be able to finish. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kelo4u2 View Post
    New here, So Hi all.
    I have a 2001 2500 Sub LT 4x4 with 8.1 l engine. How do I tell what trans I have. I'm just wondering because what everyone says about Allison trans. also how haed is it to put a leveling kit on. My back is shot (5 surgeries on my back) so I dont want to start it and not be able to finish. Thanks
    To know for sure what Transmission your 2001" has and/or came with.....look inside your Glove Box, and there you will see a White Tag, and that is the Service Parts I.D.Tag, on it is your Suburbans Vin#, and a Series of Letters and Number's, those are RPO Codes, which stands for Regular Production Option, in short what the Suburban came with from the Factory,

***The RPO Code you would be looking for is.....MT1 which is the....4L80E, or RPO M74 which is the Allison Transmission, IIRC The Allison was not available in the 8.1 Suburbans??

If you go the link below, and enter your Suburbans Vin#....it will show you everything the Suburban came from the Factory.

Link,

http://www.compnine.com/vid.php
    Last edited by 99'HEARTBEAT; 10-18-2013 at 05:09 PM.

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

Quote Originally Posted by 99'HEARTBEAT View Post

***The RPO Code you would be looking for is.....MT1 which is the....4L80E, or RPO M74 which is the Allison Transmission,
    Or, the 4L85E, RPO MN8
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)