GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Help in upgrading Audio system

Hi all.

I am new in GM audio thing, it seems more complecated than other makes from what I here you all saying.

I have 2008 SLE Sierra, and it doesn't have the Bose , and I dont want to have something very load, I wish to install the Bose stock system with my HU. I want to add the bose amp 15186663 and bose 4 speakers and sub.

My car have the standered interior so not the one like yukon and I dont' have the center consil, I am planing to buy one and install the amp and sub in it.

Any unusall things I should car of ?
    Anyone knows the part # for the bose speakers for extended cab 08 Sierra?
    any special part i need to install before convirting to bose?
    Will my HU support this ?

My HU is the one without 6 CD's but with Mp3

Thanks

Legend

unless you have a line on this for cheap it will be expensive. and you would need the bose HU a standard factory wont do as they send the pwer the bose units gets pwer from the amp not the HU, go with an aftermarket better investment and more expandable, especially for using new and future coming products. ipod or other mp3 player connections and with radio switching to HD and no more AM in the future
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

Quote Originally Posted by wailalghanim View Post
    ...I have 2008 SLE Sierra, and it doesn't have the Bose, and I dont want to have something very load, I wish to install the Bose stock system with my HU. I want to add the bose amp 15186663 and bose 4 speakers and sub...
    If you don't want something very loud, then why are you contemplating an upgrade, isn't your OE loud enough?

The Bose system is an integrated package. You may find that your head with the Bose compenents (IF you can get the wiring to work) may sound terrible. It's not going to improve the sound of your existing head. At best, you'll have the same sound you now have, but louder (including existing foibles).

As vncj96 opined, the Bose components are costly and you'll be better served with an aftermarket system. E-Bay offers a plethora of installation products to ensure a professional looking (and sounding) installation. With the money saved you could install some sound deadening padding, premium wires, or...
    Are we having fun, yet?

Forget the Bose system, were going aftermarket. I bought a Sony HU and four JL Audio speakers for a total of $350 dollars without installation. That gives me a loud sound system WITH the ability to connect my iPod directly to the HU by an auxillary cable! You will only need an amplifier if you add sub woofers for bass.

Check out Sonic Electronix web site, they have excellent prices on all audio stuff! Once you have determined the size of your speakers, you can order them from there. Then find a new HU, nothing fancy just something to play CD's and has the ability to connect an iPod if you wish. Then take all the stuff to an Audio install store, and have them install it for you if your inexperienced. Good luck

2006 Chevy Silverado 1500 2WD EXT Cab
    4.3L V6 Vortec, K&N Drop-In, Flowmaster Super 44,
    3" Exhaust tip, 22" Boss #331 Rims, Clifford 50.5x Alarm,
    Escalade Gauges, DJM Leveling Kit, Billet grill, All JL Audio Speakers,
    300XD MTX amp, Two 10" Alpine SWE-1042 subs

-Check out my photo album!

Thanks everybody,
    I have no issue with cost, up to $1500, I think it is enough, my problem is that I hate changing the look of the interior, so I want to keep my HU, and by the way it has the ipod input, Qustion, does the bose bulitin component comes with specific HU? ( Bose HU or GM HU )
    I want to find and buy a complete bose system out of a new GM ( Sierra/Yokun/Tahoe mint condetion) and install it in my car, will I need special wiring harness and/or special hiden unit that I am not aware of beside the HU,AMP and speakers ? my car doesnot have the onstar by the way.

get over the bose idea....its pretty much impossible to do. The wiring harness for your truck is different and the bose system has a few more speakers and sub. just get an aftermarket 4 channel amp and 4 speakers and it wil sound even better than the bose system in my opinion. add a mono amp and 10in sub to the 4 ch amp and speakers for some bass.....or you can get a 5 channel amp and power a sub and 4 speakers. polk or infinity would be a suggestion. good luck. pm if you have any ?'s

brandon s.
    car audio installer

Legend

Why didnt you just get it when you bought the truck then, it would have been less.
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

Yeah, just go all aftermarket. You can keep the HU and get something like the JL cleansweep that'll clean the signal from the your HU so you can use aftermarket amps/speakers. Then it'll look stock and sound aftermarket (ie. much better).

2009 GMC Sierra Denali AWD

Thanks everyone,

I take that u all agree it is not worthy to try and upgrade for bose, I guess I should lestn to the experts. I will go for the after market.
    One thing though, I am in Saudi Arabia and the dealer don't provide the SLT models neather I had the option to get the bose, I was forced to buy this SLE Sierra or to go ford, which I will never do.
    We don;t have your options of audio system right here, so what do you advise me for the amp? we have :
    pioneer, JBL, kenwood, sony , JVC and other cheap ones only, same for the speakers, so what combenation should I go with my stock HU ? I still could order through the net what ever u have in US, but it will cost me more for the shipping, and they are not light wieghted.

Thanks
    2008 Sierra SLE

If your budget truly is $1500, then you could afford competition audio. Your probably just looking for a nice sounding truck though. My sudjestion, JL Audio for everything. If you have the ability to order things from the U.S, then you can go to www.sonicelectronix.com and shop there. You can order all your speakers, wire, amplifiers and subwoofers. I recommend one amplifer for the speakers and another one (or two) for subwoofers and a capacitor. However, it is not possilble to add amplifiers and subwoofers to a stock HU. Kenwood makes good HU but Alpine brand is the best HU (order from U.S).

2006 Chevy Silverado 1500 2WD EXT Cab
    4.3L V6 Vortec, K&N Drop-In, Flowmaster Super 44,
    3" Exhaust tip, 22" Boss #331 Rims, Clifford 50.5x Alarm,
    Escalade Gauges, DJM Leveling Kit, Billet grill, All JL Audio Speakers,
    300XD MTX amp, Two 10" Alpine SWE-1042 subs

-Check out my photo album!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast