GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Honda Automatic Transmission Fluid.

Hello all.

I know this is a GM forum, but I do have a question about a Honda and other forum members have Hondas as well.

My brother is needed to get the automatic transmission fluid changed on his 2003 Honda Accord V6. The dealer quoted him $100 for this service.

IIRC all you do on the Hondas is pull the auto drain plug and fill it back up. Also reading his manual it states that use Honda ATF-Z1 fluid. I called the dealer, and it looks like ATF-Z! has been replaced ATF-DW1 fluid.

My question is, so you really need to use the Honda fluid or can you use the Valvoline Maxlife fluid?

Thanks.

2013 Silverado LTZ White Diamond Crew Cab

Mods:
    Advent OGM1 Navigation
    Husky Liners GearBox Underseat Storage
    Airaid MIT
    EGR Rail Caps
    K&N Air Filter
    Flowsound 40 Muffler
    Hypertech Max Energy Tune (only top end limiter removed and AFM disabled)
    Chrome Tailgate Handle Cover
    TonnoPro HF-155 Tonneau Cover
    WeatherTech Front and Rear Splash Guards
    Husky Liners X-Act Contour Floor Liners
    WeatherTech Side Window Deflectors

its an old honda and probably out of warranty. I know they had some proprietary stuff (power steering fluid etc). I would look on the back of the valvoline bottle as alot of times they will list vehicles manufactures that the fluid is compatible with. Sometimes not though like with the autotrak fluid in our 4x4 trucks.

As far as swapping yes its drain and fill. most likely the amount shown for capacity will include the amount in the torque converter as well so usually a drain and fill is less than capacity. try to measure how much comes out then fill accordingly. Warm it up and then check level to see if you need to add more to it.
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member

Sr. Mechanic

I had an '07 Accord and did all the maintenance myself. I used the Valvoline Maxlife. The only thing I noticed is that the transmission held on to the gears a little longer when cold, not a big deal. In addition, I took out the factory transmission filter under the hood and replaced it with a magnefine. The car ran great with a 113,000 miles when I traded it in.

The transmission service has a drain plug like the oil pan. Just make sure you get a new washer before you change the fluid.

I told my brother to get the Honda ATF DW-1 fluid. It is $15 more for 4 quarts.

2013 Silverado LTZ White Diamond Crew Cab

Mods:
    Advent OGM1 Navigation
    Husky Liners GearBox Underseat Storage
    Airaid MIT
    EGR Rail Caps
    K&N Air Filter
    Flowsound 40 Muffler
    Hypertech Max Energy Tune (only top end limiter removed and AFM disabled)
    Chrome Tailgate Handle Cover
    TonnoPro HF-155 Tonneau Cover
    WeatherTech Front and Rear Splash Guards
    Husky Liners X-Act Contour Floor Liners
    WeatherTech Side Window Deflectors

Quote Originally Posted by stchman View Post
    I told my brother to get the Honda ATF DW-1 fluid. It is $15 more for 4 quarts.
    Yep sometimes better to use the more expensive stuff. An extra $15 over 50,000 miles ain't much.
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member