GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Thread: Shocks and such

Default Shocks and such

Hey everyone-
    I'm driving a 04 silverado 1500 extra cab, 170xxx and almost completely bone stock. I have a 7'' meyer plow on the front that's been there since my dad bought it new, and it's time to replace the front shocks, which is probably long over due. I was also considering installing Timbrens in the front end, as I've heard from many guys that plow it helps a lot. Currently last year when I was plowing I was getting a little scrape even when the plow was fully up on small bumps and I was told these help add a little ride height and stability. My question is, what type of replacement shocks is everyone fond of, and if anyone else has anything I should be looking out for or tuning up as well.
    Semper Fi

Bilstiens are great shocks.
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by dsfloyd View Post
    Bilstiens are great shocks.
    X2 on Bilstien. They are said to be the best shock that you can get for these trucks.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

I'm rocking Bilsteins.
    2000 Silverado 5.3L Z71 4x4: K&N air filter, Procomp 16x8 rims, 285/70R16 Toyo AT2s, Kenwood head unit, Alpine 500.1 amp, 12" kicker, Infinity 5.25" speakers, Bilstein HD shocks, EBC GD Sport dimple & slotted front rotors w. EBC green stuff pads, Brembo slotted rear rotors & HIDs.

Legend

BILSTIENS ARE expensive but they sure do last. I replaced my OEM shocks 9 years ago with the HD bilstiens. I got a lifetime warranty as well. so far they are still perfect. checked them last year when I had to work the frame on my 2000 silverado 4X4... 140.000miles..

Quote Originally Posted by j cat View Post
    BILSTIENS ARE expensive but they sure do last. I replaced my OEM shocks 9 years ago with the HD bilstiens. I got a lifetime warranty as well. so far they are still perfect. checked them last year when I had to work the frame on my 2000 silverado 4X4... 140.000miles..
    I would not say that they are that expensive compared to other companies top of the line shocks. I think monroes mono tubes are $68 each while bilsteins are $72

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    I would not say that they are that expensive compared to other companies top of the line shocks. I think monroes mono tubes are $68 each while bilsteins are $72
    9 years ago they cost 100 USD. made in germany . today I can believe the lower price. could be china now.

8. Likes 08_rado_rocker liked this post

I was told by shockwarehouse that some were being made in Germany again some in china. That would explain why they had to send me 6 replacement shocks for a friends Durango. 4 of them were leaking from the rod seal when I unboxed them. It is the second time I have heard of a bad run of bilsteins. the other was in 2010-2011 for the GM trucks.

Legend

nothing is safe anymore with the china crap.

Jr. Mechanic

Might want to consider new torsion bars too? That many years with a plow will definitely take the spring out of your torsion bars.

Quote Originally Posted by nlocho11 View Post
    Hey everyone-
    I'm driving a 04 silverado 1500 extra cab, 170xxx and almost completely bone stock. I have a 7'' meyer plow on the front that's been there since my dad bought it new, and it's time to replace the front shocks, which is probably long over due. I was also considering installing Timbrens in the front end, as I've heard from many guys that plow it helps a lot. Currently last year when I was plowing I was getting a little scrape even when the plow was fully up on small bumps and I was told these help add a little ride height and stability. My question is, what type of replacement shocks is everyone fond of, and if anyone else has anything I should be looking out for or tuning up as well.
    2012 Silverado 1500 LT 4X4
    2003 Suburban LT 2500 6.0L
    2004 2500HD Crew Cab LT 4x4 6.0L - SOLD

12. Likes 08_rado_rocker liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by