GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Post Change Oil Light Issue

I changed my oil about 1k miles ago and then all of a sudden the "Change Oil" light started coming on for maybe 10 seconds right away when I start the engine and then it goes away. It will periodically turn on and off again when I am driving as well, but never stay on for more than 10 seconds or so. I checked the oil level and there is plenty of oil. The oil pressure gauge is also not out of normal operating range. I am not sure what would cause this or how to resolve it. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

--Adam

- - - Updated - - -

I forgot to mention, this is on a 2001 Chevy Silverado 1500 Z71 w/ 5.3L and auto trans.

Quote Originally Posted by adam.hafner View Post
    I changed my oil about 1k miles ago and then all of a sudden the "Change Oil" light started coming on for maybe 10 seconds right away when I start the engine and then it goes away. It will periodically turn on and off again when I am driving as well, but never stay on for more than 10 seconds or so. I checked the oil level and there is plenty of oil. The oil pressure gauge is also not out of normal operating range. I am not sure what would cause this or how to resolve it. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

--Adam

Turn key on, tap gas pedal to floor a few times (forgot how many), turn key off, then turn key back on and it should flash then go away.

If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger cheater bar.

Current:
    1999 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 | 5.3 "Vortec" | Spectre "Cold Air Intake" | TransDapt TBS | Hypertech 30005 Tune | 2005 Chevy Tail Lights | Denali headlights | Grill Mounted Fog Lights | AWS Bug Shield | 265/70/16 Futura Scramblers | Boss HD Speakers | 2005 Overhead Console | Flowmaster Super 40 mufflers 2N1O | Mostly stock-ish
    Future:
    Bigger Amp Alternator | Electric Fans | Transmission Fluid cooler | Paint (Halfway there)| Interior Restoration/Upgrade with newer model parts | Window Visors (In channel) | Tint | Low-Profile Tool Box | LEDs throughout stock cab locations (68% Done) | And whatever is spurr of the moment
    CVN-69 "IKE-ATRAZ" AIR/V-2 Gear Dawgs

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by adam.hafner View Post

Thanks in advance.

--Adam

- - - Updated - - -

I forgot to mention, this is on a 2001 Chevy Silverado 1500 Z71 w/ 5.3L and auto trans.
    the change oil light has nothing to do with the oil level/quality/or pressure/temperature. this is a computer generated light that comes on based on miles driven and the environment of the operating of the vehicle.

this light will come on with MY VEHICLES about every 5,000 miles or so.

reset the oil change monitor at every oil change.

Quote Originally Posted by rileyjr16 View Post
    Turn key on, tap gas pedal to floor a few times (forgot how many), turn key off, then turn key back on and it should flash then go away.
    three times
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

5. Likes rileyjr16 liked this post