GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Fuel gauge not working - also have air dam question

Hey guys, I'm new here as you can tell.
    I have a 1988 Chevrolet C1500. A little more info on it is in the signature.
    Loving the forum so far!

I lived in Maryland up until the end of August and then moved to Virginia.

I have a few questions.

The fuel gauge on my truck is acting up...105,000 miles on it now. (Stuck on 1/4 tank and I know there is about a half tank in it) it got like this a week or so later after I got the truck running for the first time in 5 years (it was originally my grandfather's truck). I still have to go back and pick the truck up from Maryland and I'm thinking I may just have to take a couple gas cans with me and fix this when I get back home.

The second question.
    Some of the C/K's came with a front air dam below the bumper. Are there any longer aftermarket ones I could buy?

Thanks for reading!
    1988 Chevrolet C1500 Silverado 5.7 350 Reg Cab Long Bed
    15X8 Pro Comp wheels ready for mounting (need new tires) Spectre air filter. More mods coming soon.
    106K on the odometer as of now.

Legend

Blog Entries

Welcome to the Club!!!

I moved your thread to the correct section of our Forum and changed your title to match your topic, as this will help in getting more responses/opinions.

Mike (Denver, CO) - 2008 Sierra 1500 Z71 SLE 5.3L 4WD

SUSPENSION: Rancho 4" Suspension Lift; Rancho RS9000XL Shocks; Rancho Skid Plates; Rancho MyRide Wireless Shock Controller;
    TIRES:
    BFG All Terrain KO 315/70/17
    DRIVE TRAIN: 4.56 Gears; Detroit TrueTrac Differential; True Cool 40k Transmission Cooler
    PERFORMANCE: DiableSport Predator Tuner; Custom Tuned by Diablew; Magnaflow Exhaust; AFE Cold Air Intake
    ELECTRONICS: Kenwood DNX6180 Touchscreen; Subthump box w/10" Kicker; Driver Information Center (DIC); Rear View Camera
    ACCESSORIES: Westin Brush/Grill Gaurd; Westin Nerf Bars; Truxedo Tonneau; 20% Tint; Tow Mirrors w/Heat & Signals

Not for certain on your air dam question (but I'm sure someone else with field that one for you), but as far as the fuel gauge goes...

If I'm not mistaken, back then most vehicles used a simple float system, and if the vehicle sat for a while, there's a good chance that the fuel turned on you and gummed it up. This was the case in several of my older 240s that i bought and resurrected from empty fields. What i have always done was drop the tank, pull the assembly out and give it a good cleaning with some Berryman's B12 and a wire brush. They usually worked properly after this.

Again, I could be wrong... but it's a start!

Welcome to the club!!

"If you're not living life on the edge, You're taking up too much space"

"Truck Norris"
    - 2008 TX Edition Silverado
    - McGaughy's 4/5 Drop Kit
    - Apline Type R 10s & Amp
    - Pioneer 6 Disc Touchscreen Deck
    - Nightmare Breed Motorsports custom tune
    - Custom 3" dual exhaust through x-pipe dumped at axle
    - Airaid CAI
    - Badges and molding removed, roll pan, Truxedo roll-up cover (compliments of GMTC!), 3pc billet grille, factory fogs upgrade
    "Kristine" - 1991 Nissan 240sx
    - Cut to pieces, LS build pending