GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Rocker panel replacement

One other question: So I purchased a rocker panel skirt should I remove the bad metal and rust from the old one or just throw the skirt on and seal. Will the rust bother the new skirt? This is a hunting fishing truck not a show truck. Thanks for the other reply's this site is awesome!!

Its not recommended you do it that way.
    Once corrosion begins if its not removed and the raw metal left behind is not properly treated you will continue to have the problem.
    No one can tell you how long your new patch will last but odds are it will be a somewhat short time.
    All sealing the panel does is stop moisture and contaminants from entering.
    The problem with sealing vs welding the panels is sealant can loose its bond with the panels through vibration, body twisting, more corrosion and a few other ways, once this happens the corrosion will be back, but this time it will cover a larger area, starting where you drilled the rivet holes and working out from there.
    Properly welded and bonded panels would reduce the chances of this happening.
    This is just my opinion but spending the money on preformed panels only to patch over the corrosion in this manner is a waste of money, if you dont care what the truck looks like then purchase a sheet of thin gauge sheet metal and make your own patchs to fit.
    It would be much cheaper that route.

thanks tb plus10:I'll get to work on cutting out the old and weld in the new skirt, it comes in a way that I can weld to truck easy enough just didn't want to go to extreme if not necessary, I thought I would spray bed liner coting on skirt after installing.

Legend

make sure that the rocker panel drain holes are open . if when cutting out the rocker you see no drain holes get a 1/2 inch bit and drill some. I also use a brush on undercoating inside there. I could see the water mark inside because there was no drain hole at the end of the rocker [rear]...

A very good point, no use prepping and treating the outside and leaving the inside at the mercy of corrosion.

Up date on repair< it's bad I will be ordering inner panels also like tb plus advised no use in putting good on top of bad thanks all i'll send a photo when done.