GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Truck shifts from first to second but goes into limp mode after second gear

I have a 200 silverado 1500 with a 4l60e tranny, all of a sudden it stopped shifting out of second gear. First and second work fine, so does reverse, but goes into limp mode after second. I have removed the pan and inspected it for any shavings, none found. I have also pulled and tested the A &B solenoids, which are both reading 22 ohms. Where should I look next?

Is the truck throwing any codes?

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

Quote Originally Posted by Conlan Rose View Post
    Is the truck throwing any codes?
    No, the engine light hasn't kicked on yet

Quote Originally Posted by SilveradoX00 View Post
    I have a 200 silverado 1500 with a 4l60e tranny, all of a sudden it stopped shifting out of second gear. First and second work fine, so does reverse, but goes into limp mode after second. I have removed the pan and inspected it for any shavings, none found. I have also pulled and tested the A &B solenoids, which are both reading 22 ohms. Where should I look next?
    this is a long shot. But, google how to test the throttle position sensor. Check yours out. I had one that was slightly out of spec and it was causing all sorts of shifting issues between second and 3rd. If it is not the issue you are only out 10 minutes of your time.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

5. Thanks SilveradoX00 thanked for this post
    Likes SilveradoX00 liked this post

Tested the TPS and everything is reading within the correct voltages

Legend

what is the model year of this vehicle ?

some of the 2003/4 silverados had failures of the TAC and/or connector. this would cause 20 MPH max speed. this will throw a code.

the other troubleshooting aid would be to get the drive train codes pulled from the PCM/computer. this will reveal any PCM issues with the tranny and other components. this is not your cheapo hand held scanner. you will need to find a repair shop with a scanner capable to read these codes.

on the solenoids . just because these read 22 ohms does not mean the valves are good. with high mileage and the use of DEXRON III these valve bodies get eaten by the acidic fluid.