GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Spark plug wire question...

I've got a '96 suburban with the 5.7 and I'm going to give it a tune up, but came across a question about plug wires. Does anyone know the difference between AC Delco part #'s 9718Q and 718Q (other than one is missing the '9'!). Also, Summit has their own brand that is less expensive. Being sold by Summit, I would have to think it's a quality product. Any reason not to go that route over AC Delco? Thanks!

I would just go with the delco wires. Gm trucks have a magical thing that they run best using factory parts. Also think about how long the factory ones lasted likely the new ones will last the same amount of time.

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

From what I found online the 9718Q is the pro set the 718Q is the do it yourself set. Other than that I can not find anything different on the web. The 9718Q lists a 500 MAG core while the 718Q lists a spiral core. Maybe @99'HEARTBEAT can help with this one.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Conlan, that's my general thinking with Delco, but thought I would ask about the Summit wires.

Pikey, I can't find much explanation either. Do the two differences you stated make either one better than the other? The 9718 is almost twice the cost, so I'm trying to figure out if it's twice as good!

I emailed ac delco direct and asked them the difference. They list both on their site. I will let you guys know what they say if/when they respond.

- - - Updated - - -

I did find one site that listed the more expensive wire set at 8mm and the less expensive set at 7mm. BUT, that was not consistent between sites. Most listed both at 7mm.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Thanks Pikey. I saw other sites listing both at 8mm, hence my questions! Couldn't find anything concrete or consistent. I look forward to hearing what delco says.

Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    I emailed ac delco direct and asked them the difference. They list both on their site. I will let you guys know what they say if/when they respond.

- - - Updated - - -

I did find one site that listed the more expensive wire set at 8mm and the less expensive set at 7mm. BUT, that was not consistent between sites. Most listed both at 7mm.
    Mike....like you I've found the same Infor. you've posted above,.....On one Site I'm seeing the # 718Q are Shown as a Direct Replacement??....and like you've mentioned, their more Expensive, than the 9718Q...

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

My personal understanding is the 9718q is an upgraded version of the oem wires, better end connections and boots, larger 8mm wire.
    As far as the difference btwn OEM and Summit is most newer vehicles (post computer controlled ignitions) of any make run better with OEM, if your gonna go Summit youll need to order one of their better and more expensive sets to get the same performance, which in the end means you spend the same or more than OEM.
    Keep in mind this logic is the same with plugs and other ignition parts.

Just a correction from my earlier post, it's the 718 that is more expensive than the 9718.

- - - Updated - - -

I talked to an independent AC Delco dealer and his comments were 1) the 718 is the direct OEM replacement while the 9718 was listed as a broader replacement for other GM models with the same engine, and 2) the 9718 is a higher quality wire that can handle more heat load, etc... (even though the 9718 is the less expensive of the two)

So my question to him was, "You're telling me I can get a better wire for about 1/2 the cost?" and he kind of chuckled and said "yep".

Pikey, I'm wondering if this jives with what you've heard from Delco?

I also recommend using the AC Delco wires. IMO most aftermarket wires are not as good as the OEM ones.

2013 Silverado LTZ White Diamond Crew Cab

Mods:
    Advent OGM1 Navigation
    Husky Liners GearBox Underseat Storage
    Airaid MIT
    EGR Rail Caps
    K&N Air Filter
    Flowsound 40 Muffler
    Hypertech Max Energy Tune (only top end limiter removed and AFM disabled)
    Chrome Tailgate Handle Cover
    TonnoPro HF-155 Tonneau Cover
    WeatherTech Front and Rear Splash Guards
    Husky Liners X-Act Contour Floor Liners
    WeatherTech Side Window Deflectors