GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: 1999 gmc z71

Sr. Apprentice

Default 1999 gmc z71

Hey guys, new here but not to Chevys , I am a SQUAREBODY GUY.

anyway, just bought this truck from original owner. Wife knows the lady I bought it from. Has 249k miles but has only had mobile 1syn oil. Tranny was built in 2008.. Yesterday, I removed the original AC plugs! yes I said original! but still ran great ( gap on plugs were about 1/4 inch ).... I paid 2k for this truck but already spent 1k fixing stuff. 4x4 switch, fuel gauge /pump sender, Muffler ( had original ) truck runs and drives great, still real strong....

I made a left turn last night and heard a growl from the front passenger side . Thinking it might have something to do with the hub. I have not had it apart yet, however not real familiar with the auto hubs.... What could be wrong in there. This 4x4 LITERALLY has never been used... It was a lady driving it and then gave it to her daughter...

At 249k check the cv's, even if the boots arent torn the grease inside has got to be about done by now.

Sr. Apprentice

Well the ball joint boots are dried and cracked... But the ball joints themselves have no play. However if I take them apart, I will probably be putting new ball joints. I think the noise I heard was just because the the 4x4 was never used. I put in in 4x4 today and everything seemed ok, no more noises. Put it in LoW and it clunked in and then took it out and everything was still fine.... Anyway, maybe I need to make it a point to use the 4x4 sometimes :-D

Sr. Apprentice

What type of fluids go in the transfer case, rearend.... I think all else has been changed

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Dodson View Post
    What type of fluids go in the transfer case, rearend.... I think all else has been changed
    the transfercase uses a GM fluid called trac II. this fluid is blue. when the fluid needs replacing it will start to turn a grayish blue. when black you are in trouble.

the transmission requires dexron VI NOT dexron III. dexron III was deleted back in 2006 because of the fluid creating acids that eat at the metal valving etc...
    with the rear end with a 4X4 MOST will have the eaton locking diff. this will use mobil synthetic 75-90 WT gear oil. the rear cover need be removed , the box/magnet need be cleaned using a mineral spirits solvent to wipe down all the wear debris. this will reduce wear of the bearings gear teeth etc...

with this diif you DO NOT use any additive. just synthetic oil.

Jeff, I want to commend you on having the courage to buy a vehicle with so many miles. While it is going to have issues a newer vehicle might not have, you got it for about 5% to 8% of the cost of a new vehicle. If you put a few bucks into it, and it runs two years, you are so far ahead. Most people warn everyone to steer clear of any vehicle with close to 100K miles. That is such old info. Reminds me of the time, when I was 16, my grandpa advised me to be sure I drained the oil every 2,000 miles on the car I bought. I asked him, "what about the filter". He said....."Oh...yours has a filter??" (back in his day, engines did not have filters).I LMAO every time I think about him saying that. Anyway....don't forget to start putting aside something for the inevitable major repair. They can run a long time, but not forever.
    Las Vegas, NV...2001 Silverado 1500 LT Z71 Stepside X-cab, 171,000 miles, 5.3, cat-back duals, leveling kit, 3.73, 17" rims, more to come...

7. Likes Jeff Dodson liked this post
    Sr. Apprentice

Oh yea well I know my way around cars, I'm actually a chevy fanatic... I knew that was a lot of miles and I know I have some work to do, but the reasoning I did go ahead and get this truck is my knows the lady I bought it from and remembers when she bought it new. That worked together at one time. I have the receipts for work done and as meticulous as she was with this truck, I tend to believe her when she said she only used MOBILE 1 SYN oil. Besides, it still runs strong, in fact will spin the tires.

I also am am building an 87 GMC LWB, lowered 3 /4, has 350/ 700r4, not sure of the rear, but will have a 3.73 posi in when I get to that part of the build