GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 2009 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab can I install speakers, crossover & amp myself?

I'm a cheapskate sometimes and after having super expensive systems in my vehicles for many years, I now just want something noticably better than my stock setup, but I also don't want to spend more than about $400.

I've been talking to Crutchfield and Car Toys. What I have decided is that I'd like to install the following.

Focal Access 165A1 component speakers with crossover in the front
    Alpine KTP-445U inline amp

I can buy both of these for about $280. I may add some Focal IC 165 for another $120 for the rear doors. That would be ideal.

The biggest question, or should I say stumbling block for me, is installation. I have no problem getting door panels off, and if I have to modify the A-pillar speaker cover to accommodate the tweeter, I don't mind. But dealing with the crossovers and inline Alpine amp . . . well, I'm not sure if it will become a problem.

For instance, the instructions I have been able to find, simply warn that the inline amp may have to be wired to the battery in certain situations. I have no idea how the current speakers are wired up to the head unit (which I'm keeping stock for now). And I know I can put the crossovers inside the door panel in the square hole above the speakers. But to take advantage of changing crossover settings, I wonder if it's better to install in view, under the dash??

Anyone with experience and knowledge on this, who can educate me on what to expect, and more importantly, help me decide if I should even do it myself . . . that would be fantastic!
    09 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab LT Z71 :: 5.3L V8 Flexfuel :: 6-spd trans :: Silver Birch/Ebony :: Flo-Pro FP746 single out with 4" s/s tip :: spray-in bedliner

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

I always liked to put crossovers in the kick panel where no water gets to them and easy to get to to change You should be fine with that set up and happy they are very good and Real sounding speakers...
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X