GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

I love my 2011. Bought it for 28K. 68K miles I got it in early 12. It was a rental. I absolutely love it.

Jr. Apprentice

Pickings have been slim lately. May have to save up some more to get a decent maintained suburban. Thinking once spring hits the 4x4 market will get flooded with them due to people looking to get out of them for mpg's.

Sr. Apprentice

I recently picked up a 2004 Sub LT, no rear DVD but everything else, it took me over 4 months to locate one that was not 'modified' or beat to rat excrement. So good luck in your search. Its a good strategy to wait as folks are scared of their size and perceived gas hog image. Before getting this vehicle I got rid of a 2004 jeep liberty Renegade. Now that was a gas hog. It just proves the old adage, you need to go big as it will still cost you at the pumps as a smaller suv will not provide the same level of versatility.

This thread is really resonating with people. 6 months old and 3000+ views.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    * I've been saying for years that I was going to change my username, and I finally did.

5. Thanks Jeepman thanked for this post
    Jr. Apprentice

What I find odd is how everyone wants bluebook for them and yet they do not sell for 4-5 months unless they lower their price below blue book. My guess is they are thinking its in better shape than what it is.
    A friend of mine is getting his dealers license. I plan on doing his computer and electrical work for him. This would make me an employee so I can go with him to the auto auctions in August. If I need to wait till then so be it.

Do these trucks hold their value? It seems NADA and KBB seem to have their value a bit inflated compared to what I see them being bought used.

Sr. Apprentice

I bought mine from a dealer at 8k, with 105k miles on it, he had on kijijji for over 7 months, not once did he drop his price after relisting. As for value, I have the original dealer bill of sale given out in 2004, when all was said and done, it was 68k, I also have the 2008 bill of sale, and it was sold for 32k, approx. 50 percent drop, in fact a Dodge Ram Diesel was traded in on it and they gave them 49k for it. I am the third owner and only paid 8k, so the price drops by 75 percent after 9 years. It is possible if people paid so much for them, they are probably trying to get something back and there is a supply problem as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepman View Post
    What I find odd is how everyone wants bluebook for them and yet they do not sell for 4-5 months unless they lower their price below blue book. My guess is they are thinking its in better shape than what it is.

Do these trucks hold their value? It seems NADA and KBB seem to have their value a bit inflated compared to what I see them being bought used.
    I have been watching the values of these trucks in my area (and on KBB) over the last year years. It seems as if the value drops significantly when fuel prices get high. Not only what people are asking for them but on KBB. Another factor in my area that I have noticed is time of year. It seems that the best time to purchase a 4x4 vehicle here is in June or July. Many people dump their 4x4's then. The worst time is the fall or winter, the prices sky rocket. I bought my 2005 yukon xl in August, 3 months later in November the KBB value went up $3000! People do tend to have a false sense of the value of these trucks. Especially if they are a Denali. When I was looking for my truck the private sellers had them marked so high that I ended up buying it from a used car dealer. His price was less than kbb and I was able to purchase an extended warranty.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by doublecardan View Post
    I bought mine from a dealer at 8k, with 105k miles on it, he had on kijijji for over 7 months, not once did he drop his price after relisting. As for value, I have the original dealer bill of sale given out in 2004, when all was said and done, it was 68k, I also have the 2008 bill of sale, and it was sold for 32k, approx. 50 percent drop, in fact a Dodge Ram Diesel was traded in on it and they gave them 49k for it. I am the third owner and only paid 8k, so the price drops by 75 percent after 9 years. It is possible if people paid so much for them, they are probably trying to get something back and there is a supply problem as well.
    You got a heck of a deal on that if you paid $8000 in 2008. Right now a 2004 suburban 4x4 with 108k is going for over $9000 in my area.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Sr. Apprentice

I would agree 8k in 2008 would be a great deal!! but in 2014 8k was the best I could do, here in Canada gas prices are much higher and this impacts the price. Used cars here are very well priced but back in 2004 the Canbuck was very low against the Greenback so the price had to higher. The one I feel sorry for is the smuck who paid 68k for it back in 2004. 15 percent tax ouch.... even the sunroof was $1395 option. This did not even come with rear dvd or the z71 package, those would have added 10k to the price including the tax.

For reference, I got my 2005 XL Denali w/ 130k miles in December for $10k from a private seller. All dealerships in this area have them for at least $2-3k more, and they DO NOT budge. Insurance company said their estimated value of my truck was ~$14k.
    2005 GMC Yukon XL Denali - tow vehicle / daily
    1993 BMW 325i - track toy

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234