GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Help! Brake Problems in 1998 K1500 extended cab pickup

ok i have a 98 k1500 ex cab truck.... on my way home my passenger side breaks started squealing.......or so i thought..... get home take off the tire and inspect the breaks they are still like new????? so i pull off my caliper off to look for cause nothing .... good wear roter not grooved????? only when i was reinstalling my caliper did i notice that it had up and down movement and it would touch the roter on the outside???? what can i do never seen this before...this is my dd i need to fix this quick please help

Sounds like you might have some really worn pins. I still do not understand how the caliper could touch the rotor. I mean for them to move that much you may have a cracked caliper . I have not done brakes on that body style in a while. Maybe @Conlan Rose can help out. I think he did his recently.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

I had a shop do my brakes, but there's a lot of space between the outside of the rotor and the caliper I can't really imagine them touching. Can you take a picture of the problem?

- - - Updated - - -

Based on pictures I have of my caliper and hub I see no way for it to move that much.

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

I think that he is saying that it is moving up and down or radially. So the caliper edge is crashing into the rotor edge. I still do not see how that could happen.

That's what I was thinking as well, but based on the hub and caliper design I cant see how that is possible. I only have a picture of the back side but still I cant see a way for it to move like that. the hub and caliper are practically one piece.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20130617_104242_877.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	55.6 KB 
ID:	55340

Quote Originally Posted by Conlan Rose View Post
    That's what I was thinking as well, but based on the hub and caliper design I cant see how that is possible. I only have a picture of the back side but still I cant see a way for it to move like that. the hub and caliper are practically one piece.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20130617_104242_877.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	55.6 KB 
ID:	55340
    lol, the caliper sits on the bracket made into the steering knuckle assembly. I don't see how it could happen. Maybe we are misunderstanding the description of the issue.
    Last edited by Pikey; 09-30-2013 at 11:40 AM.

ok i took off both of my front wheels and compared the two calipers... the driver side was tight no movement at all so i took it apart and compaired the two...the passengerside (bad side) you can grab the caliper and rock it and it will touch the roter and it has a groove in itfrom rubbing....... now it seems thatg their is somekind of bushing inside the caliper that is wore out i think..... also when i pulled the allen bolts out the sliderscame with and will not comew off the bolt..... the driverside just the bolts came out and the sliders stayed in is this normal...... this truck does have 289000 miles as well..... with 35s most of its life

- - - Updated - - -

i will take pic tomorrow and show the movement will possasbly try vid of just how much it rocks as well....

- - - Updated - - -