GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default Clicking Noise - HELP

Hi Everyone
    I have an 03 Silverado 1500 z71. The other day i noticed a "clicking" noise coming from somewhere on the truck when i first get on the road when the truck has sat for an hour or longer. It sounds like a card in bicycle tire. It happens going straight or turning. it goes away after a little bit and sometimes comes back randomly driving, usually after stoping at a light and then get going again. Ive had the hubs replaced earlier this year and my mechanic looked at the CV's then and said they are good still. Could it be a u-joint???

Any help?

Thanks
    Scott

It could be a u-joint. It could be almost anything. It might be a backing plate rubbing a rotor. I could block the front wheels, jack up the rear and support it on jack stands. Put it in gear and let off the brake. You might be able to track down the noise rather easily.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    It could be a u-joint. It could be almost anything. It might be a backing plate rubbing a rotor. I could block the front wheels, jack up the rear and support it on jack stands. Put it in gear and let off the brake. You might be able to track down the noise rather easily.
    Thanks, i will give that a go.. could it be the front one also??

Thanks - Scott

It could be. But, I usually see rears go much more often.

cool. Thanks. I'll update the thread once i solve the problem

Quote Originally Posted by Scott_03silverado View Post
    Hi Everyone
    ...It sounds like a card in bicycle tire...
    Thanks
    Scott
    Don't laugh at my suggestion but nearly the same thing happen to my next door neighbor with his Jeep Cherokee. He had a similar noise and was going nuts trying to find it. He called me over and I found it right away. It also would come and go (fan off/on). The air flow recirculation door was directly behind the open top glove box. When the air intake door was open a piece of cellophane like the type for a CD case was sucked into the squirrel cage (drum) fan from the glove box and it would make that card sound. Your truck may have a closed glove box but something could have been sucked up off the floor. It could also be debry, a small twig or a very thick and hard leaf from a tree worked itself pass the coils and lodged itself in the fan.

I hope this finds it. A bad u-joint would usually be associated with heavy vibration. As the joint turns it would bind and cause the shaft not to turn smoothly resulting in a vibration you would feel in the steering wheel or even the seat.

Lastly, did you look at the engine cooling fan. Something could have been thrown up in the cowling and if it's an electric motor fan it does cycle on and off.
    Last edited by WorthFlorida; 09-30-2013 at 07:53 PM. Reason: Added third suggestion

Hey there, Thanks for the suggestion, im open to any at this point. Last night i checked the driveshaft and there is no play in it whatsoever. It sounds as if it is coming from outside the truck. it starts at about 20mph and goes to about 40mph regardless of what gear the transmission is in. Im going to take a good long(er) look underneath it tongiht when i get home

Legend

this sound could the transfer case. go into 4wd see if the sound changes. if the sound varies with speed the brake pad spring clips can do this

***UPDATE*** I broke down and took it into my mechanic. They discovered it was Ujoints but on the front driveshaft for the 4wd. Dang Ujoints..
    Thank you everyone for your input and help. Its great to see such awesome help and feedback!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by