GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default barn door hinges

So I'm taking the barn doors off my 96 to go on my 92. Or at least I thought that was what I was going to do. Has anybody figured out how to get the hinge pins out? I even got the Chilton manual and of course no help! It only covers the tail gate style.don't want to cut the hinges out, not a welder. Any ideas how to get those stupid pins loose?

As far as I know, the hinge pins are not removable. To pull the doors off, you either have to unbolt the door from the hinges or the hinges from the body of the truck. This also means that you will have to re-align the doors once they are put on the other truck, but I think you needed to do that anyway.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 265K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

Use a rubber mallet. They were put in before the truck was painted so the paint makes it harder to make them move.

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

okay, i have tried a hammer and a punch to try and push the pins through. you can drill the spot welds on the hinges but not a good option. the hinges have an L bracket that goes behind the tail light and would have to cut another piece of panel once you get them loose. tried heating the hinge pins, still no win! cutting the hinges or breaking welds are not an option as i am no welder and this is all done in my drive way.
    has anybody had any success with getting these off?

Quote Originally Posted by jwaldburger View Post
    okay, i have tried a hammer and a punch to try and push the pins through. you can drill the spot welds on the hinges but not a good option. the hinges have an L bracket that goes behind the tail light and would have to cut another piece of panel once you get them loose. tried heating the hinge pins, still no win! cutting the hinges or breaking welds are not an option as i am no welder and this is all done in my drive way.
    has anybody had any success with getting these off?
    I have not looked at my 01 suburban with barn doors. What does the pin look like? Can you use a slide hammer with a tooling to attach to the pin head?
    2011 Chevy Silverado LT 4WD 30k miles
    2001 Suburban 2WD, 5.3, V8 185k miles
    1993 964
    1996 318TI

My understanding is the hinge pins are pressed in and removal was never intended.
    Just a guess but I believe you would either need something like dry ice or a torch to heat or cool for removal.
    One set I saw removed had ridges so even if you could get a hold of them you couldnt twist them out.