GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 Last Post byLast Post by

Quote Originally Posted by dsfloyd View Post
    The cases are aluminum so they are soft which is why not to use an impact. They have a low torque rating. even using a torque wrench I have take the plug all the way down. If you cant get the fill plug off DONT attempt to take off the drain plug. You will need to get new fill and drain plugs then work on getting off the fill plug. once off you can work on the drain plug. at that point check for cracks on the case but hopefully the plug is just stuck from not being removed in a long time. As far as the tcase popping I dont know but figured the more info, the better someone might be able to help you out.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok just saw the video and that sounds bad. Hopefully someone here can help. Your exhaust sounds good though
    Yea, its a flowmaster 2 in 2 out. came with the truck. lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    It almost sounds like the chain is slipping on the gear.
    the P.O. mentioned that his mechanic thought it was the chain. i got to researching and discovered the old pump rub issue. sounded like two logical explanations to me, but i don't know this guy, much less his mechanic( God bless Craigslist) Im going to have to pull the case to fix whatever's wrong so i may as well fix it all at once.
    02 2500hd 8.1/Allison.

Do you know where to look for the pump rub hole? just google GM pump rub hole and look at the images, it is like the third one over It will not leak fluid unless you are driving because the hole that forms is above the fluid level.

As far as looking for a used or rebuilt t case goes. I ended up buying a new one from GM for $1200. rebuilds were $1100.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

i do not know where to look. i thought i did, but i didn't see anything either. the area around the drain plugs and back of the case are dirty, but looks like road grime rather than fluid.

Quote Originally Posted by COdix699 View Post
    Yea, its a flowmaster 2 in 2 out. came with the truck. lol.

- - - Updated - - -

the P.O. mentioned that his mechanic thought it was the chain. i got to researching and discovered the old pump rub issue. sounded like two logical explanations to me, but i don't know this guy, much less his mechanic( God bless Craigslist) Im going to have to pull the case to fix whatever's wrong so i may as well fix it all at once.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    Do you know where to look for the pump rub hole? It will not leak fluid unless you are driving because the hole that forms is above the fluid level.

I had the pump rub issue on my truck. Not really anything in the way of noise but it sure did start leaking like a pig. First I thought it was the output shaft seal but later found the hole as its usually small. had to use a dye to find it. Mine was on the top side near an inspection cover. The chain definately makes sense. you can usually find rear case halves (for pump rub issues) on ebay and some are making them in things other than aluminum and they also make a new ring to add on the inside to fix the rubbing. I know on mine to split the halves the entire TC had to be removed as there was a C clip inside only accessible from the inspection hole on top and not enough room to get to it with it in the truck. That being said we have different TC so as far as splitting case halves may be entirely different.
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by dsfloyd View Post
    I had the pump rub issue on my truck. Not really anything in the way of noise but it sure did start leaking like a pig. First I thought it was the output shaft seal but later found the hole as its usually small. had to use a dye to find it. Mine was on the top side near an inspection cover. The chain definately makes sense. you can usually find rear case halves (for pump rub issues) on ebay and some are making them in things other than aluminum and they also make a new ring to add on the inside to fix the rubbing. I know on mine to split the halves the entire TC had to be removed as there was a C clip inside only accessible from the inspection hole on top and not enough room to get to it with it in the truck. That being said we have different TC so as far as splitting case halves may be entirely different.
    im still not 100% sure what t case i have. the tag has gone missing and i cant make heads or tails out of my rpo codes in my glove box.

if you give your vin # to the dealer parts guy they can tell you (well they should be able to).

7. Likes COdix699 liked this post

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	t case.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	35.7 KB 
ID:	55405im hoping what looks like a patch job was a pump rub repair at one point.

Quote Originally Posted by COdix699 View Post
    im still not 100% sure what t case i have. the tag has gone missing and i cant make heads or tails out of my rpo codes in my glove box.
    Do you mean that you can not read them? chances are it is a NP2 rpo code or a NV261

I don't know what I'm looking for. I guess I'm looking for an NP something.

- - - Updated - - -

Success!! NP2 RPI code

Just a heads up, I think that the tail shaft on the NP2 is longer on the HD truck vs the non HD truck.