GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default painting bumpers

I am wanting black bumpers on my Tahoe. I need advice, what is the best way to do this, or do I just need to break out the bucks for new bumpers? Thanks for any advice

i painted mine recently, autozone or any auto store should sell some black bumper spray paint where you dont have to prime it you can just start spraying, just take your bumper off and give it 2 coats, pretty staight forward
    Last edited by sierraman; 06-26-2008 at 11:38 PM.

Andrew
    2006 gmc sierra, 4.8l, gibson headers, flowmasters exhaust, hypertech power programmer,4.10 gears, 3 inch rough country suspension lift w/ 285/70/17 cooper disoverer stt's, tinted windows, westin grill gaurd, herculiner bedliner, black fender flares, HID headlights,black painted front bumper

I presume, you're worried that your paint may not satisfactorily adhere to the existing chrome bumper... a valid concern. Have you considered up-plating your bumper? It's like electro plating but the current is reversed and the plated item becomes the anode and you add a sacrificial cathode.
    If you've ever removed chrome mechanically, then you know it's usually a huge pain in the rear. I've seen video demos for home un-plating; but, they were for small pieces. I assume the precess can be scaled up for a bumper. If you're like me, you don't have a tank big enough for a bumper.
    Contacte a local plater about having your bumper un-chromed... It might be the easiest way to start the job the way you want.
    Are we having fun, yet?