GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default SMART Car destroyed after hitting a large insect? (Photos)

Wow, this is supposed to be a steel frame car, but I like my legs too much to ever drive one of these.

I saw this car parked in a local parking lot and just can't help but wonder what they hit and how hard they were going. Also, what is that bra type of thing they have on the front end? I assume that they taped it together so they could still drive it but not repair it properly?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130821_113241.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	78.4 KB 
ID:	55398Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130821_113305.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	65.1 KB 
ID:	55399Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130821_113306.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	65.2 KB 
ID:	55400

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    Follow Us Please: facebook.com/gmtruckclub | twitter.com/gmtruckclub
    Support GMTC: Help the site, contribute today

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

When you sit in them you sit more like a truck Sitting up not with your legs out in front much,, A higher seat
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

3. Likes Steve liked this post

We had a smart car dealer here for a few years. It is gone now. What was really dumb is that it was located on a very busy road with a speed limit of 55mph. Most people drive 60mph+ on that stretch. I don't know how many times I saw one of those almost get crushed by a 2500 truck towing a trailer. You would pull out of the dealer and have to drive up and incline. The cars did not have enough power to merge into the flow of traffic. You could pass people in the car on a test drive and see them just white knuckling the steering wheel hoping that they did not get smashed.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

5. Likes Steve liked this post
    Legend

River Ridge Louisiana-4 miles W of New Orleans-didn't flood-water stopped 800 yards away.

The Smart ONLY made sense when it had the 3 cyl TD and got 60+ mpg hy-and maybe 35 mpg city.
    Of course we-USA never got that version.

What would anyone pay almost Spark money-4 passenger car-gettting 80% of the MPG of a smart-
    for a SMART??
    They were trying to get almost $13000 for a 2 passenger car-with no Home Depot potential
    Only if you lived in a place city really tough to park would it make sense
    Plus Dodge and Fiat have decent enough 4 passenger cars for roughly the same $$-Ford and Chevy too
    1998 suburban-
    1/2 ton

199500 miles
    River
    Ridge,LA

yeah not sure why the diesel thing didnt really hold in the states. VW did it for a while then I think CA stopped certifying them for CA emissions. I know diesels are finally making a come back in the small motor arena.
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member

8. Likes Steve liked this post
    Legend

River Ridge Louisiana-4 miles W of New Orleans-didn't flood-water stopped 800 yards away.

If the Smart was priced at $10,000 or so\
    and you did almost all city driving
    might make some sense
    The 3 cylinder TD like you say-would have cost too much to get by the EPA regs
    Not much point in trying to sell a $18000 2 passenger car economy car with such limitations
    Last edited by phoebeisis; 10-02-2013 at 02:13 PM.
    1998 suburban-
    1/2 ton

199500 miles
    River
    Ridge,LA

10. Likes Steve liked this post

Well, look at the picture, the cage/cab was not affected so the people were safe and that is what they claim. I think they make good beach balls for 2 pickups out having fun.

And apparently with that much damage, they are still able to drive it around... oh well.

Maybe the Smart was too big for the owner and they tried to make it even smaller.

That, or some kid's basketball bounced off the front of it.
    Clint (TX) 2001 Silverado LS 4.8L auto 2wd ECSB [GARAGE]
    Gasoline or gunpowder: If you ain't burning one, you ain't having fun!
    NRA Endowment Member 5 24 48 88 - Hendrick Motorsports FTW!

13. Likes Steve liked this post

Trailer hitch on lifted truck maybe? If I were to get a economy car, it would be the new diesel cruz. 800 miles per tank! My neighbor who works for GM keeps talking about, or maybe she is in sales and is trying to brain wash me lol.
    -K&N Air Filter

15. Likes Steve liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith4816 View Post
    Trailer hitch on lifted truck maybe? If I were to get a economy car, it would be the new diesel cruz. 800 miles per tank! My neighbor who works for GM keeps talking about, or maybe she is in sales and is trying to brain wash me lol.
    No. Damage isn't tall enough. Had to be a low rider. Lol
    Chuckie!!!

17. Likes Steve liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast