GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Water leak coming from rear of motor above starter, 99 Suburban

I have recently noticed a leak that is coming from the rear passenger side of the motor. At first I thought it was oil, but after comparing the leak droppings and oil from dipstick on a piece of paper I have decided its water and likely antifreeze. Its not green like the antifreeze in my radiator and it has a slightly oily feel. The leak appears to be coming from around or above the starter and dripping down to the transmission bell. Any ideas on this? I cant seem to find exactly where its coming from. I will attach a couple of pictures. Its a 99 suburban 4x4 with a 5.7 motor. As always, thanks for the info guys!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails leak2.jpg   leak3.jpg  
    Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 Z71
    5.3 Liter
    4X4

Im starting to think my water pump is leaking and the water is traveling to the back of the motor somehow and dripping around my starter. Sound reasonable?
    5.3 Liter
    4X4

I would check the heater hoses on that side above the exhaust manifold. There is a plastic Y connector that broke on mine. I replaced it with a brass T I put together at a hardware store
    "American by birth, Southern by the grace of GOD"

4. Likes Steve liked this post
    Jr. Mechanic

Have you checked for a leaking soft plug?
    2013 Escape Titanium 4WD

6. Likes Steve liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by donl View Post
    Have you checked for a leaking soft plug?
    I suppose I'm not sure what a soft plug is. Is it the same As a freeze plug?
    5.3 Liter
    4X4

Hard to tell from your pic, but I'm thinking it could be ac refrigerant.
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

How much are we talking about? The metal looks like it's pretty well covered but it hard to tell from the photo. Can you smear some on white paper and compare with the look of your oil?

- - - Updated - - -

Oh wait. You did that already. What did it look like?

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    Follow Us Please: facebook.com/gmtruckclub | twitter.com/gmtruckclub
    Support GMTC: Help the site, contribute today

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    How much are we talking about? The metal looks like it's pretty well covered but it hard to tell from the photo. Can you smear some on white paper and compare with the look of your oil?

- - - Updated - - -

Oh wait. You did that already. What did it look like?
    it was defiantly watery with a oily color. The cardboard under my truck shows it dries with a pinkish color. My antifreeze is green. It's not like its gushing just dripping. It also dries on the concrete and is definatly not oil which would leave a spot on the driveway.

Im certainly having a hard time with the diagnosis.
    5.3 Liter
    4X4

The fluids have colour so that there is some clues available when a wet spot is noticed.

From you pic, is appears to be yellow.

New engine oil is dark yellow, could some have been spilled when the oil was changed, or topped up?

Used engine oil is brown,

Coolant is green, or orange.

Transmission fluid is red,

Power steering fluid is pink, or clear,

Brake fluid is usually clear,

AC refrigerant is green, or yellow.
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

That's the second time someone has mentioned AC refrigerant. Is the refrigerant slightly oily and would it dry like water? Where would I start to chase down an AC leak like that? Another interesting thing of note, I parked the burb backed in which means the motor and front of vehicle was pointed slightly down hill and there is no drip spots under it today. I have not climbed under it to see if its pooling on the starter like it has been. Also it does not appear to be tranny fluid, the tranny is new and has about 2000 miles on it. Its unlikely that its spilled engine oil as I have not added any since the oil change which was a while ago. Tomorrow I plan on pulling the shroud and getting a better look at the water pump even though its not dripping toward the front of the motor. Thanks for all the tips so far.
    5.3 Liter
    4X4

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast