GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 2005 Escalade Drivers side Heated seat mystery

Hello and I hope I am posting in the proper place. I found this site because like so many others I have a drivers side seat that will not stay on. I have follow all of the threads that deal with this issue and have done a bit of trouble shooting. My seat heat control on the drivers side will stay lit for a few seconds then turn off--just like so many others. I did bring it to the Stealership for them to tell my that they were sure it was my seat element but it would cost me $125 for them to know for 100% sure. My seat heaters (back and seat) work just fine. How do I know this, well here is something that I have NOT seen mentioned in any of the other posts. If I keep my seat moving--or just adjust the lumbar while I am driving the seat stays working. It will heat up and stay on until I stop positioning the seat. I hope that this bit of information gives you VERY SMART people out there that last piece of information to help us Me especially as it is getting cold here. It seems to me that if there was a short then the heater would not work for any reason, but it will work as long as the seat is in motion. And what does the seat moving have do to with allowing the seat heaters to work? Under the seat I have a blue box, a black box and what I assume is the brain which is a silver box approx 4" x 3.5" and 3/4" thick. If anyone can help me out with this mystery I would be so grateful! Thank you!!!!!

2. Likes Steve liked this post

I don't have anything to offer, except that you've clearly done your homework. Anyone have anything to add for why it will work when the seat is being adjusted?

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    Follow Us Please: facebook.com/gmtruckclub | twitter.com/gmtruckclub
    Support GMTC: Help the site, contribute today

Well as pointed out it sounds a lot like a short, possibly a bad connection.
    If it were myself Id pull the seat covers off and start checking conections and wires.
    The passengers side heated seat on my wifes 08 HHR was doing a similiar thing last winter, when I removed the seat cover I found a connection that had a cracked soldier joint, a little heat shrink over the connection and a resoldier and the problem went away.

Either a loose/poor connection on the hot side, or a loose/poor connection on the ground side.

Keeping one of the motors operating, in the seat, may be drawing sufficient current to overcome the poor connection.

As I understand the heater circuit, the pushing of the button(S) operates a relay, or a module. The relay provides the heavy contacts to supply current to the heater. The relay will also provide the circuit that lights the lights.
    There is also a requirement for a thermostat inside the seat.

I don't have a wiring diagram for your truck, but you probably have a HI/MED/LOW selection for the heaters. This circuit can be done with a relay, but it is likely an electronic module that is replacing the relay.

However, check your fuse panels, looking for a seat heater relay, it could be a bad relay. If you have relays, swap the pass and drivers relays to see if the trouble swaps.

If there is no relay(s), one of the boxes under the seat is probably the electronic version of the relay. Check it for loose/poor connections.
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)