GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Rough Country Leveling Kit Installation Question

I just purchased a rough country leveling kit for my 04' Silverado 4x4, and just reading through the directions for install I have a question about sliding the tortion bars forward. Do you use the C-clamp or ball joint removal tool to load the tortion bars so you can remove the adjustment screw and the threaded block the sits in the crossmember? and if so do you release the clamp in order to be able to slide the tortion bar forward to replace the keys? Any advice is appreciated, thanks.

I just did my 06. Do not use a C clamp as it is not strong enough. It could snap and you could get injured. I ended up buying the proper tool to do mine. I heard the ball joint tool works if you are careful but it could slip off. Once you get the block out release the tool and the torsion bar will be free. Not sure where you are located but i am in New England and rust was an issue so if that's the case, have some PB blaster handy and a hammer as you likely will have to beat the old keys off the torsion bar. That was the only trouble I had doing mine. Hope this helps. Brian
    2006 Silverado 1500 5.3L ecsb Z71,afe pro s dry air filter, color matched tailgate handle and bezel,color matched front bow tie, led interior illumination, 5000K HID lows, Black powder coated wheels, Blacked out body side moldings, Rough Country 2.5" level/lift kit, Magnaflow muffler

I had to use a torch and a sledge to get my keys out...just try to heat the keys and NOT the bars

2009 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT Z71 Crew Cab "All-Star Edition"

Line-X'd Bed
    Line-X'd Custom Brush Guard(Heavy Duty)
    5.3L Flex Fuel
    Factory Black Running Boards
    BF Goodrich All-Terrain KO's(265/65R18)
    2" Rough Country Leveling Kit
    EGR In-Channel Vent Visors
    Exterior PLUS Package
    Interior PLUS Package
    K&N Drop-In Air Filter
    Bowtie Mud Flaps