GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: Clunk!

Hybrid View

Default Clunk!

Hey all... I'm new here and joined because I have a question....

I own a 2000 Silverado 1500 4x4 stepside. I bought it with 35k miles on it and it has 178k on it now. I have enjoyed my truck through the years...

But ever since I bought it, I have gotten a sort of a "Clunk" sound on the start up after a short time of stopping while in gear.

I noticed it right off and took it to the dealer - they said all GM trucks to that - There hasn't been any problems with the performance.....

It's just a sound I don't like hearing and wondered if it is common with this model year or whatever?

I have replaced both drive shafts. I keep good brakes on her and good tires.....

I would appreciate any help you all might be able provide.

Thanks!

Russ

have you checked to see if the is play in the diff? or in the tranny? a shaft is only part of the line to be looked at. maybe a rear brake hanging up and releasing when you take off? mine does not make any noises....mike
    Michael Collins
    1993 4X4 Suburban
    many other toys as well

Does it cluck when it downshifts..or maybe upshifts sometimes? its common with the silverado, surburban and tahoe.

2003 Silverado Z71 with 24" wheels, tinted windows, DVD, NAV, PS2, and four 10" subwoofers, stripped logos/decals..more to come...eventually.

1998 DRM Z28 Camaro 425hp-Heads and cam LS1 with headers and much more.

Quote Originally Posted by DRMZ28 View Post
    Does it cluck when it downshifts..or maybe upshifts sometimes? its common with the silverado, surburban and tahoe.
    No, Mostly when accelerating from a stop. Thanks for your interest!

Quote Originally Posted by collinsperformance View Post
    have you checked to see if the is play in the diff? or in the tranny? a shaft is only part of the line to be looked at. maybe a rear brake hanging up and releasing when you take off? mine does not make any noises....mike
    Haven't checked the tranny - but both shafts have been replaced. Thanks for your input!

Blog Entries

welcome to the site russ! I hope you find the answer to your question.
    Darcy
    Washington State
    2006 Silverado 2500HD LT3 4X4 CC SB Duramax LBZ
    Tuff Country 6" lift, 35" Toyo M/T's on 20" Ultra Peacemaker wheels, Quadzilla Stealth2 programmer, Diamond Eye 5" cat-back exhaust, factory Special order color Yellow.

Quote Originally Posted by dwill3015 View Post
    welcome to the site russ! I hope you find the answer to your question.
    Thanks for your welcome.... Dwill!

Thumbs up

I know that a few years back a friend of mine had the "factory rep." out to check out the "clunk" in his '96 Chevy. Bottom line was that there is a certain amount of "slack" in the splines where the drive shaft goes into the tranny. Usually the "clunk" is when the truck has been stopped and when it accelerates the slack is taken up making the "clunk". The fix was to "pack" water proof grease in the splines to soften the clunk. It usually works until the grease goes away. Then you start over again. Hope this helps!

2010 Z/71 Colorado C/C
    Black 4X4 w/5.3L V8
    ===============
    2007 Winnebago Adventurer
    w/8.1L Chevy & Allison 6spd.
    Canyon Lake, Texas

As mentioned pack the rear shaft splines with grease and see if this solves the problem.
    Another thing to look at is axle wrap, what size tires are you running? With 178k on those rear springs I'm willing to bet they sag some, Chevy's have an issue with the rear springs wrapping up under take-off load because their so long (63"), when the springs get worn the problem gets worse. A quick fix is to put on helper springs, or Add A Leafs, the best fix is to replace the rear springs.