GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default Thoughts on K&N Air Filters.

I have been reading some opinions over at Bob is the Oil Guy and apparently there are a LOT of folks that belive K&N air filters are the worst thing you can put on your vehicle.

The speak of large amounts of engine damaging dust being sucked into the engine, ruined MAF sensors, accelerated engine wear, etc.

Apparently the only evidence to support this claim was a test done back in 2004 by Arlen Spicer.

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/3-p...they-work.html

I've used K&N air filters for years with no problems.

My thing is, if K&N air filters were so terrible, would not competing air filter makers test their air filters against K&N, publish tests to try to get people to buy their filters over K&N?

2013 Silverado LTZ White Diamond Crew Cab

Mods:
    Advent OGM1 Navigation
    Husky Liners GearBox Underseat Storage
    Airaid MIT
    EGR Rail Caps
    K&N Air Filter
    Flowsound 40 Muffler
    Hypertech Max Energy Tune (only top end limiter removed and AFM disabled)
    Chrome Tailgate Handle Cover
    TonnoPro HF-155 Tonneau Cover
    WeatherTech Front and Rear Splash Guards
    Husky Liners X-Act Contour Floor Liners
    WeatherTech Side Window Deflectors

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

This has been bought up many times.. And as you said many People have used K&N filters in everything from Motorcycles to $100K race motors with never a problem.. K&N has done it's home work to bring you a trouble free filter and has done the testing to prove it more then any other Co out there... I have used them now in my past 4 trucks with over 100K on all before I got Sold them.. NEVER a problem other then running out of recharge oil..
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

I think the problem is people don't recharge the filter right. Then they blame the filter not their error.

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

I am going to change the oil soon and will send off some used oil to Blackstone Labs for a UOA.

If the K&N is not doing its job, I should see elevated levels of silicon in the results.

If not serviced correctly, the filter does not "Filter" or clogs with inattention.........

- - - Updated - - -

By the way, I'm glad that you have spent some time reading the site! Good info, can be had...........

- - - Updated - - -

Adding more air, adds more fuel per ecm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    2010 GMC SIERRA CREW CAB (Silver) 4x4, ReadyLift 2.5" Level Kit, 305/60/18 Dick Cepek Mud Country, Go Rhino Nerf Bars, Husky Liners front and rear, Bushwacker Bed Rail Caps, Custom tuned. 4:11's

My only complaint after using K&N filters since the early eighties on almost every vehicle Ive owned, and running many of them past 150,000 miles is with the charging oil.
    Yea if you dont follow the instructions you can have problems.
    I have a Dry filter on my Harley Davidson Nightrain and I enjoy not having to wash and oil it and also not replace it.

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

It is NOT hard to clean and reoil.. I do it at night so I can install it all ready in the morning.. No Problems.. What kind of problems can you have with spraying the filter to clean out all the old oil and dirt hose from the inside out let dry then reoil?? NOT hard..

i have a dry K&N in my truck. seems to be working fine.

Alex

2011 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3 Z71 4X4 Stealth Gray Metallic / 2004 Chevy Impala LS 3.8 Cappuccino

Tow mirrors - Diablew Tuned - Flowmaster Regular 40 - Ready Lift 2.5' lift - BFG LT A/T K/Os - Carr Light Wing - TruckLite LED lights - Optima Red Top - 50% Front Window Tint - Line-X bedliner - Airaid MIT - Tekonsha P2 - ARS Billet Grill - Fia custom fit seat covers

being from west texas... it's a toss-up for me.

Currently, I'm using the wet filter that came with my Airaid CAI in Truck Norris. When i used to drive him daily I would have to continuously clean and oil the filter (I'm talking at least 3 times a month) because of the high dust levels around here or he would suffocate. A dry particle filter worked just fine for the longest time out here for me (dirt covered the in side and not the other), but airflow was sacrificed greatly.

No, it is NOT hard to do, but with a completely full schedule working 90+ hours a week.. it just becomes a PITA.

All that said, I drive a 2013 F150 company truck daily now (POS btw) and with not having to constantly keep up with the wet filter in Truck Norris, I like it.

It's a toss-up for us desert folk.

"If you're not living life on the edge, You're taking up too much space"

"Truck Norris"
    - 2008 TX Edition Silverado
    - McGaughy's 4/5 Drop Kit
    - Apline Type R 10s & Amp
    - Pioneer 6 Disc Touchscreen Deck
    - Nightmare Breed Motorsports custom tune
    - Custom 3" dual exhaust through x-pipe dumped at axle
    - Airaid CAI
    - Badges and molding removed, roll pan, Truxedo roll-up cover (compliments of GMTC!), 3pc billet grille, factory fogs upgrade
    "Kristine" - 1991 Nissan 240sx
    - Cut to pieces, LS build pending

Yea up here in North Texas were not exactly in the desert but its dusty conditions, my wet K&N needs cleaning about every month and a half.
    The dry filter shakes itself off with a slap of the hand and its ready to go.
    I've started to use pre-filter mesh on all my filters and it seems to prolong the time frame for cleaning cycles.
    Since its so dusty here I even use a dry filter on my boat, which is kind of against what the Coast Guard recommends, but then again they arent paying for the engine rebuilds on my boat either so they can kiss off.

11. Likes 08_rado_rocker liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by