GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
    Jr. Apprentice

Default g80 differiental fluid

can anyone tell me what kind of fluid that i need to put into this? i dont have the service manual and a few people have told me different things such as getting the additive to put in it and others have told me regular fluid will work. any ideas guys? thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by Gooseberry09 View Post
    can anyone tell me what kind of fluid that i need to put into this? i dont have the service manual and a few people have told me different things such as getting the additive to put in it and others have told me regular fluid will work. any ideas guys? thanks in advance

The Below Information is from G.M.

SUBJECT: LOCKING DIFFERENTIAL (G80) LUBRICANT - (SERVICE INFORMATION) VEHICLES AFFECTED: ALL LIGHT TRUCKS EQUIPPED WITH G80 REAR AXLE ALL YEARS

***The use of any Additive in Locking Rear Axles (G80) is Not Recommended. Rear Axle Additives are designed for use in Limited Slip Differentials which are Normally Installed in Cars. All Light Duty Trucks Equipped with RPO G80 make use of a Locking Differential and the use of Additives will Delay the Engagement of the Locking Mechanism and May Decrease Axle life.

GM....recommends the following Lubrication in the Trucks with Locking Differentials: Synthetic 75 W90; GM Part # 9986115

Edit:....I'm running in my Rear Axle Royal Purple 75/90W Gear Lube.
    Last edited by 99'HEARTBEAT; 10-12-2013 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Added Infor.

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Gooseberry09 View Post
    I use mobil synthetic gear lube 75-90 wt. this is all that is required. no additives with these eaton locking differentials.

the fill hole should have a tag indicating this .I never drain the rear diff with out removal of the rear cover and using mineral spirits cleaning the diff box out and magnet. then inspect the gear teeth for cracks etc...

make sure the vehicle is level when you top off the fill. should be 1/2 inch from the top ...if you put too much in no big deal. at worst it will come out the venting hose which should be checked for restrictions.