GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default New Truck Owner - 100% out of my depth.

Hi,

I just thought I'd introduce myself.

I've just picked up a '97 GMC Suburban 2500 SLT 3/4 (HD version) with a 454. 106k miles. Two-tone blue and white.

This is the first truck I've had and the first American made vehicle I've owned (I'm here from the UK for a few years). The last cars I did any work on were small, light, front wheel drive and stick shifts.
    I'm pretty clueless regarding much of what I've just bought.

So far the (future) job sheet looks like this:-

Fix front wheel shake under braking - new pads and rotors and possibly new hubs while it's all apart. (DIY - but scared of those 15mm hub bolts)
    New tires (Michelin LT M/S2 I think will work best for me)
    Get the aircon sorted (It's still 70+ in the Bay area at the moment)
    Pitman and idler arm (probably going to pay someone to do that)
    Transmission, transfer boxes and diff fluid changes - (pretty sure these have not been done for 10 years - 30k), I'll do this myself.
    Fix a few small leaks - possibly oil cooler lines, definitely one of the valve covers, maybe the steering pump - none of these are too bad.
    Tune up - new plugs leads and distributor cap
    Fuel Filter
    Air filter - do those fancy cold air ones really help?

Hopefully that's it.

Legend

Welcome aboard.

Sounds like you have a nice little project ahead of you.

Pitman and idler arms are just as easy as tie rods, provided you have the right tools, which are not terribly expensive. Don't let the location of the job at hand scare you off.

Keep us posted on your progress, and feel free to ask any question regardless of how stupid you may think it is.
    Patrick
    Rhode Island

Also, those hub bolts are not that difficult to get at. They do get tight though, an impact gun and swivel socket makes it easier

Welcome to GMTC! And congratulations on the new ride! It actually sounds like a pretty sweet ride having that low of mileage.

Everything you mentioned seems fairly simple and working on domestics isn't that much different than the imports you've had in the past. everything is just sideways to you lol!

I'm a firm believer in cold air kits, and they're relatively cheap modifications also. Helping your truck breathe will help in lots of ways, so opening the exhaust when possible will also be good.
    There are lots of very experienced truck owners on here trolling around, so make sure to post any questions/concerns you may have in the correct section, as that's where they would be looking for them!

"If you're not living life on the edge, You're taking up too much space"

"Truck Norris"
    - 2008 TX Edition Silverado
    - McGaughy's 4/5 Drop Kit
    - Apline Type R 10s & Amp
    - Pioneer 6 Disc Touchscreen Deck
    - Nightmare Breed Motorsports custom tune
    - Custom 3" dual exhaust through x-pipe dumped at axle
    - Airaid CAI
    - Badges and molding removed, roll pan, Truxedo roll-up cover (compliments of GMTC!), 3pc billet grille, factory fogs upgrade
    "Kristine" - 1991 Nissan 240sx
    - Cut to pieces, LS build pending

Welcome to the site.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    * I've been saying for years that I was going to change my username, and I finally did.

Legend

Blog Entries

Welcome to the Club and congrats on your new ride!!!

Looks like you'll get to your know your Burb very well

Mike (Denver, CO) - 2008 Sierra 1500 Z71 SLE 5.3L 4WD

SUSPENSION: Rancho 4" Suspension Lift; Rancho RS9000XL Shocks; Rancho Skid Plates; Rancho MyRide Wireless Shock Controller;
    TIRES:
    BFG All Terrain KO 315/70/17
    DRIVE TRAIN: 4.56 Gears; Detroit TrueTrac Differential; True Cool 40k Transmission Cooler
    PERFORMANCE: DiableSport Predator Tuner; Custom Tuned by Diablew; Magnaflow Exhaust; AFE Cold Air Intake
    ELECTRONICS: Kenwood DNX6180 Touchscreen; Subthump box w/10" Kicker; Driver Information Center (DIC); Rear View Camera
    ACCESSORIES: Westin Brush/Grill Gaurd; Westin Nerf Bars; Truxedo Tonneau; 20% Tint; Tow Mirrors w/Heat & Signals

Well the brakes are done and I'd say a success. The rears still need adjusting but the stopping is now pretty good and the shaking is gone.

Changed 7/8 plugs (don't ask, I was in a rush and missed one) and the leads. There is a slight missing at idle which might be the one plug not changed or is maybe something else but it's not bad.

Tried to change the fuel filter, but one of the nuts just will not budge at all. I've tried PB, and freeze spray, and I'm using a proper flare nut wrench. I'm scared of stripping the fitting.

Currently half way through a coolant flush.

I'm contemplating the injectors and FPR, but that might have to wait.