GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default Rear Glass Wont Lock In When Closed

So the rear hatch/glass on my '96 Tahoe takes about 15-20 times to get closed because the latching mechanism in the tailgate wont lock it in place like it is supposed to. I have tied lubricating the latch and fiddling with it to make it lock, but it just keeps getting worse every time I open the back of the truck. It kinda defeats the point of having a SUV if you can't open it with out the ability to then close it again.

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

never really had to deal with this, seeing as I've never owned one. But all latches and mechanisms wear out with age/use, so replacing it might be something to look into.

"If you're not living life on the edge, You're taking up too much space"

"Truck Norris"
    - 2008 TX Edition Silverado
    - McGaughy's 4/5 Drop Kit
    - Apline Type R 10s & Amp
    - Pioneer 6 Disc Touchscreen Deck
    - Nightmare Breed Motorsports custom tune
    - Custom 3" dual exhaust through x-pipe dumped at axle
    - Airaid CAI
    - Badges and molding removed, roll pan, Truxedo roll-up cover (compliments of GMTC!), 3pc billet grille, factory fogs upgrade
    "Kristine" - 1991 Nissan 240sx
    - Cut to pieces, LS build pending

Not sure if this latching mechanism is designed like the one in the S-10/S-15 SUV's.
    I had problems with the rear latch on a 96 S-10 years ago, after disassembling and reassembling it a few times I figured out the mounting fasteners were shimmed and slotted to adjust it, after more playing I finally figured out the correct combination to get it to work correctly. As pointed out wear over the years makes tweaking and adjusting necessary because a hasp and lock mounted on the outside just dont look cool.

Can you tell if it got bent at all?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    * I've been saying for years that I was going to change my username, and I finally did.

From what I can tell everything seems lined up and such the only part that is messed up is the part on the window that latches in. It has some wear from closing and opening that has removed material from the piece. But I'm unsure if the piece is replaceable.

It might be a 3D problem ... that is, I had at least one time in the past where the retaining latch got pushed inward over time just enough that it couldn't close the deal. Can you try to pull it out and see if it has any give at all?

Quote Originally Posted by Conlan Rose View Post
    From what I can tell everything seems lined up and such the only part that is messed up is the part on the window that latches in. It has some wear from closing and opening that has removed material from the piece. But I'm unsure if the piece is replaceable.
    Is the piece coated in a plastic or rubber material? On my 02 I had issues with the extended cab doors closing and latching. It turned out that the plastic material coating the latch "loop" had peeled a little with wear. I took a razor blade to it, cleaning all the plastic off. They closed fine after that. Have you tried any kind of lubricant in the mechanism? I see what @Steve is saying about the latch. I think that there is a little arm in there that is supposed to get pushed telling the latch to "unlock" and close onto the loop. If that is not being touched, is bent or missing, that could be the issue. That kind of goes back to what @Tbplus 10 said about you needing to adjust the mechanism.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

The latch loop is made of steel as is the latch assembly. The piece that should be holding it in place is there but it doesn't always lock like it is meant to when the rear is closed, yet when I try to close it by hand it works like a charm. Last winter I greased all the latches and hinges in the truck so its well lubed.

Quote Originally Posted by Conlan Rose View Post
    The latch loop is made of steel as is the latch assembly. The piece that should be holding it in place is there but it doesn't always lock like it is meant to when the rear is closed, yet when I try to close it by hand it works like a charm. Last winter I greased all the latches and hinges in the truck so its well lubed.
    I would spray some PB blaster on it just for the heck of it. Then I would "exercise" it open and closed by hand a bunch of times. Who knows it might free it up a little. I know that I always greased me extended cab door latches. But, a week before I sold it they started sticking. I pb blasted the crap out of them and moved them by hand repeatedly. They freed up.

Photos please. I can't remember which piece is which. I'm saying that I either had a failure at the base of the piece that holds on the loop ... or maybe even a sheet metal "collapse" is you will that kept it from closing just enough with a soft close, but if you pushed it then it would close.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by