GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 2000 GMC SIERRA 5.3 low fuel light after fill up

I have owned my truck for about 8 years and it has been this way since I bought it. After I have burned off a few gallons it seems to read an accurate fuel level. I have seen many posts about this problem but would like some people that have had this and had it fixed to explain what is wrong and est cost to fix.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by 2000sierra View Post
    I have owned my truck for about 8 years and it has been this way since I bought it. After I have burned off a few gallons it seems to read an accurate fuel level. I have seen many posts about this problem but would like some people that have had this and had it fixed to explain what is wrong and est cost to fix.
    the fuel pump will need replacing . cost is about 600-800 USD. this is when you use a ac delco or Delphi pump. do not use AIRTEX AS THESE ARE SHORT ON LIFE. If you do this work the tank will need be dropped or you slide back and tilt up the bed to get access to the top of the fuel tank. I prefer the bed slide / tilt method. my 2000 has this problem since the warranty ended back in 2002. when the pump dies then I will fix it ...new pumps will require wires to be soldered and sealed with new style connectors in most cases if you have the OEM 2000 pump....

I'm curious. Doesn't the fuel pump only feed fuel into the line and engine ? Does it also measure the amount of fuel in the tank or wouldn't that be a fuel level gauge sensor ? Just trying to narrow it down. I'm sure you know what you're talking about but trying to get multiple opinions on this. Thank you for your information .

It does both.
    2000 Silverado 5.3L Z71 4x4: K&N air filter, Procomp 16x8 rims, 285/70R16 Toyo AT2s, Kenwood head unit, Alpine 500.1 amp, 12" kicker, Infinity 5.25" speakers, Bilstein HD shocks, EBC GD Sport dimple & slotted front rotors w. EBC green stuff pads, Brembo slotted rear rotors & HIDs.

Legend

I'm curious. Doesn't the fuel pump only feed fuel into the line and engine ? Does it also measure the amount of fuel in the tank or wouldn't that be a fuel level gauge sensor ? Just trying to narrow it down. I'm sure you know what you're talking about but trying to get multiple opinions on this. Thank you for your information .
    when you go buy this or look this up on the internet you will see 2 heavy wires this is the feed to the pump motor, the smaller sized wires are to the what they call sometimes rheostat , this is the sender which has this issue of getting slimmed up and what you get is an open circuit . this then causes the fuel gauge to jump around, the sender goes to the dash as well as the PCM...

I known of some that removed the assy , then cleaned it put it back in to work great for a time then only to act up again.

I use techron fuel treatment with a few ounces of marvel mystery oil to the fuel to reduce the jumping readings ...it will clean some of the reostat..

It does both. @j cat has given you very good advice and information. No need for multiple opinions. Any opinion that is different than what is stated above would be incorrect. So, you can search high and low for a different answer, but you already have the correct one.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Thank you all for the answer's to my question. Now I know where to go when I talk to my mechanic . Have a great GM day guy's.

Legend

Thank you all for the answer's to my question. Now I know where to go when I talk to my mechanic . Have a great GM day guy's.
    remember do not use an AIRTEX pump....post back the cost to have this repair and what pump you used .. ac delco or delphi ..

Right on. Thanks for helping with such great info.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    * I've been saying for years that I was going to change my username, and I finally did.