GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default cluster or ignition switch.

I have an 04 2500 that the instrument cluster has started acting up on. it will work sometimes [no sticking gauges] and other times all the gauges will be dead. Ive tinkered with it and they will seem to work fine and then when I turn the key back on, NOTHING. I'm pretty sure its not the stepper motors because, when they work they work fine. Could it be the ignition switch? I don't want to send the cluster off for repair and that not be the problem. thanks.

my experience is that it is the cluster. Mine would work sometimes and then other times the gauges would be all out of whack.
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by patriot8midga View Post
    I have an 04 2500 that the instrument cluster has started acting up on. it will work sometimes [no sticking gauges] and other times all the gauges will be dead. Ive tinkered with it and they will seem to work fine and then when I turn the key back on, NOTHING. I'm pretty sure its not the stepper motors because, when they work they work fine. Could it be the ignition switch? I don't want to send the cluster off for repair and that not be the problem. thanks.
    It sounds like the internal power supply for your cluster is on it's way out. The exact same thing happened to my cousins 04 yukon denali. He sent it out to a place in Texas and they did a complete rebuild (stepper motors, bulbs, and power supply) for $125

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Legend

this is a 100 % failure rate with your vintage vehicle that the dash cluster is the problem. the dash has electronic circuits in it as well as the stepper gauge motor indicators...

I would find an internet repair for cheap cost repair..

my 03 silverado has the same problem. i have looked at rockauto.com for replacements and found some around 160.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott_03silverado View Post
    my 03 silverado has the same problem. i have looked at rockauto.com for replacements and found some around 160.
    Then your "new" cluster is not programmed with the correct mileage or engine hours. That raises all sorts of red flags when you try to sell it. In my opinion a rebuild is the way to go. Unless you plan on upgrading to one from a SS with a trans temp gauge

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Scott_03silverado View Post
    the repair people will set the odometer as it was so you have no mileage issues with the law. when you install a new or different dash cluster then you would have to file a report to the local vehicle registry to make it proper under the laws about mileage with vehicles..

question on the SS one w the trans temp gauge... is there anything special you have to do to get the trans temp gauge to work or can you just plug it in and go?

Thanks

10. Thanks Scott_03silverado thanked for this post
    Likes Scott_03silverado liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    Then your "new" cluster is not programmed with the correct mileage or engine hours. That raises all sorts of red flags when you try to sell it. In my opinion a rebuild is the way to go. Unless you plan on upgrading to one from a SS with a trans temp gauge
    I didn't think you could buy one new...I think they have to be sent off and reconditioned so the mileage stays the same...

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by