GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Winter Driving/Long Bed Question

Morning Everyone,

It's about time to start getting ready for winter, truck wise. Question for those of you will a 2500/3500HD crew cab, long bed, in short, a long f$%@king truck.

I've never driven a truck that long in the snow before, and just curious during the winter months do you keep anything to weigh down the back of the truck for added traction, or do you just drive smart with the 4 wheel on? I got the z71 off-road package, but I still drive slow. Kills me to see other drivers think 4-wheel means "drive fast in snow".

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by chevyson View Post
    Morning Everyone,

It's about time to start getting ready for winter, truck wise. Question for those of you will a 2500/3500HD crew cab, long bed, in short, a long f$%@king truck.

I've never driven a truck that long in the snow before, and just curious during the winter months do you keep anything to weigh down the back of the truck for added traction, or do you just drive smart with the 4 wheel on? I got the z71 off-road package, but I still drive slow. Kills me to see other drivers think 4-wheel means "drive fast in snow".

Thanks!
    My truck is not as long as yours. I have a yukon xl. But, I have plowed in a crew cab 8ft bed before. The length of the truck does not matter when going straight or accelerating in a straight line. Now, when it gets sideways on you it is a different story. That is pretty long to be swinging out on you. I put weight in the back of my truck (2002 2wd ext cab silverado) for winter one time. While it did help some when starting from a dead stop, when it got sideways it was harder to get back under control. Force=Mass x Acceleration, So a truck with weight in the bed that gets sideways on you has more force and inertia that you have to try to get back in the correct place and being a long truck like that you also have the disadvantage of all that weight being cantilevered way out there. In my opinion, adding weight is great if you are just going to drive straight not so great if you are going to be turning. Plus, the added weight also increases your stopping distance. I drove my 2wd truck in Michigan winters, down unplowed dirt roads, (only put weight in the bed the one time) for 10 years and never got it stuck. I only put my yukon in 4x4 when there is 6+ inches of fresh snow. We regularly get 2" of snow one day. 4" the next, 2" the next.... In that amount of snow I don't even bother with 4x4. I believe that it is all in how you drive. Drive smart and cautiously and 4x4 is not even necessary. Nice? Yes. Necessary? No
    Last edited by Pikey; 10-17-2013 at 09:56 AM.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

I do no think adding weight in the back of your truck is a wise thing to do, I have driven 1/2 ton trucks for 20 years, the only time I needed clean undies was the year I added a half rick of firewood to my truck for winter, we dont have really bad winter conditions in okla often, but we get a good one once in a while , you have tire spin in winter, its part of it, but I had never broke loose and spun 360's going down the road in the years I had no extra weight in my truck bed. That was the first and last time for me adding weight in my truck bed, I really feel the added weight in the back was the problem for loosing control and spinning 360's. newtons law and inertia, an object in motion tends to stay in motion, or, I tapped my brake, the weight in the back of my truck did not comply with my action.
    Life is short compared to history

Rick (summitwhite11)

Personally, I would rather have a long wheelbase vehicle on snow packed / icey roads. I also like some weight - but it must be well forward, I do have to carry "stuff" in the winter so I place the load as best I can to keep the weight forward - I don't like anything behind the rear axle if possible. I see people with sandbags right at the tailgate, bad move !! Yeah, some people think they are 10 ft. tall and bulletproof when they are driving a 4x4. Like Pikey said, nice to have but not always necessary. Better to engage the brain than the four wheel drive !

im gonna go the reverse of what others have said, i ran a few tubes of sand right up against the tailgate in my old 03, and the 05 i had for a few weeks when i was still in minnesota. it makes a world of difference. 120-180 lbs is all I ran, not 500.

the big thing in my opinion is tires, good snow tires make a big difference.

Alex

2011 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3 Z71 4X4 Stealth Gray Metallic / 2004 Chevy Impala LS 3.8 Cappuccino

Tow mirrors - Diablew Tuned - Flowmaster Regular 40 - Ready Lift 2.5' lift - BFG LT A/T K/Os - Carr Light Wing - TruckLite LED lights - Optima Red Top - 50% Front Window Tint - Line-X bedliner - Airaid MIT - Tekonsha P2 - ARS Billet Grill - Fia custom fit seat covers

Jr. Mechanic

Good winter tires and slow the damn thing down.
    2013 Escape Titanium 4WD

Jr. Mechanic

Quote Originally Posted by Sierraowner5.3 View Post
    im gonna go the reverse of what others have said, i ran a few tubes of sand right up against the tailgate in my old 03, and the 05 i had for a few weeks when i was still in minnesota. it makes a world of difference. 120-180 lbs is all I ran, not 500.

the big thing in my opinion is tires, good snow tires make a big difference.

Alex
    I agree,my '91 1/2 ton 2WD one wheel wonder. With good tires and weight I'm helping people make the hill.

Snow tires make all the difference in the world.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    * I've been saying for years that I was going to change my username, and I finally did.