GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Hybrid View

Default On-Star account billing issues

Mostly just a rant about On Star but for those that have On Star do you use it regularly?
    Ive had On Star on our HHR since 2008 and our truck since 2011.
    During that time other than getting notices about impending oil changes or low air pressure in the tires Ive yet to find another use.
    Every year around October On Star sends me emails and letters stating they have a problem with my billing and it cant be processed, and everytime its found to be some glitch in their system. And everytime I threaten to close my acount they suddenly come up with a new lower rate, when asked why Im being charged a higher rate if they have this lower rate and are concerned with my saving money I normally get silence.
    This year when they starrted the billing issue for the fourth year in a row I cancelled On Star, in the last two weeks Ive gotten 6 letters and 15 emails suggesting for my family and my safety I might want to rethink my decision, what is this On Star or the Mafia? Whats gonna happen if I dont sign back up?
    $37 a month on two cars is way to much just to tell me my tires are low or Im gonna need an oil change soon.
    Last edited by ChevyFan; 10-19-2013 at 07:25 PM.

Is this deja vu? Seems like we keep having customer service issues with these companies.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    * I've been saying for years that I was going to change my username, and I finally did.

Onstar and sirrus xm seem to be the worst.

I had XM issues when I first bought my truck.
    I still recieve letters from XM I just send them back "return to sender", a friend of mine gave me an email program that sends back selected unwanted emails to the sender, XM has slowed down since I put that in place, I added On Star to the program lastnight.

My subscription jumped up double ... I made a Swift phone call and they dropped out about 40%. Have a feeling they they're going to pull it again next to it gets re upped.

I had onstar on my wife's torrent. The only reason I kept it on there was because, at the time, she was making frequent late night (1 or 2 am) return trips home from her mom's home in Ohio. She also had my son in the car. She also tends to take a rural route that has little to no traffic at that time of night. I figured that is she got in a wreck at least onstar would tell emergency services where she was. Then I got in the wreck in my 03 yukon and the onstar never activated. The battery of the truck was in the front. It was split in half in my accident. No power= no onstar. Soon after the wreck I canceled my wife's. Her torrent battery was also located in a place that would first be smashed in an accident. I know that many new trucks have relocated the battery to the back of the bay. But, paying for a system that depends on power from a source that was the first thing damaged in an accident seemed dumb to me, so I got rid of it.

XM keeps sending me free 3 month trails. So, I am now on 9 months of free xm. I will not renew, even though they have offered me 6 months for $25

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    I had onstar on my wife's torrent. The only reason I kept it on there was because, at the time, she was making frequent late night (1 or 2 am) return trips home from her mom's home in Ohio. She also had my son in the car. She also tends to take a rural route that has little to no traffic at that time of night. I figured that is she got in a wreck at least onstar would tell emergency services where she was. Then I got in the wreck in my 03 yukon and the onstar never activated. The battery of the truck was in the front. It was split in half in my accident. No power= no onstar. Soon after the wreck I canceled my wife's. Her torrent battery was also located in a place that would first be smashed in an accident. I know that many new trucks have relocated the battery to the back of the bay. But, paying for a system that depends on power from a source that was the first thing damaged in an accident seemed dumb to me, so I got rid of it.

XM keeps sending me free 3 month trails. So, I am now on 9 months of free xm. I will not renew, even though they have offered me 6 months for $25
    Wow. That stinks. Never thought of that. I know the battery in my Traverse is on the back. Can't even see it actualy from just popping the the hood.

I found out the hard way the battery on my wifes HHR is in the back by the spare tire.
    Had to stand on my head to replace it, for some reason The doors and back hatch wouldnt unlock with power connected to the jumper posts under the hood.
    I made a powerport attachment that will supply power for certain things that can be connected up if the battery ever goes bad again.