GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Weak front shocks

I have a 2011 Tahoe Z71 pkg.At only 28000 miles the front struts are quite weak and will be replaced under warranty.The truck has never been off road or abused but I wonder if this is a common problem with them.Has anyone had similar trouble?

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

Why do you think they are weak? Just replaced mine after 106K on my 08 Z71 Avalanche stocks were looking bad They use Rancho stock now, I put the Best on Bilstein.. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shocks8.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	65.0 KB 
ID:	55658Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shocks15.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	41.8 KB 
ID:	55659Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shocks9.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	71.1 KB 
ID:	55660
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

They really bang when hitting a bump and keep on bouncing on a road dip.

Legend

Do you Plow with it? Thats not right check your springs too..
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

Nope,just basically a family hauler and bad weather driver.The dealer said they would replace the struts which I understood to be the springs and shocks.However they are on backorder which lead me to believe there has been a problem with them.

carnut802,

I am sorry to learn that you are experiencing an issue with your vehicle and had to visit the dealership. Please private message me if I can be any assistance.

Jennifer T.
    GM Customer Care

Did they already do this? Curious as to what they put down as the cause.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    Follow Us Please: facebook.com/gmtruckclub | twitter.com/gmtruckclub
    Support GMTC: Help the site, contribute today

Had the shocks replaced under warranty at the dealership yesterday.Huge improvement in ride quality now.Thanks to everyone for their help and advice.

Legend

Were you able to look at the old ones? Did you try to compress them?

No they didn't show me the old ones but the old ones looked ok on the truck,no signs of leakage or anything.