GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 1998 vortec suburban fuel pump.

My fuel pump is on its last legs, but being in the uk its a bit hard to find the parts, looking to order from over there seen this
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/181151518549...84.m1423.l2649

does anyone have any experience with this?

also is ok to fit just to just fit the repair kit and not the full unit? my level sender works fine.

thankyou

Just replaced mine on my 1998 suburban a couple months ago. Got it from Rock Auto for a pretty darn good price ($120ish) and it went in pretty easy. Did it in the driveway with basic tools, a floor jack and the help of my 16 year old. I'd opt for the entire unit if I were you. Have you changed a fuel pump before? If not, there are a few important details that you don't want to overlook... Such as fuel level when dropping the tank, keeping junk from falling into the tank, non-ferrous tools if possible, etc... Greg

Thanks for the reply. Im a mechanic and own a garage over here, so doing the job isnt a problem. its just getting hold of the parts and the shipping charges.

Good deal, you're set then. I'm just a shadetree mechanic who enjoys working on trucks. Learning as I go! Who did you end up getting the pump from? Like I said I used Rockauto.com and they had great prices. Not sure about shipping to the UK though...

Legend

River Ridge Louisiana-4 miles W of New Orleans-didn't flood-water stopped 800 yards away.

Non Ferrous tools-
    yikes where do you get non ferrous tools?
    What are the tools made of? Bronze Titanium Hard Aluminum maybe?
    Guess that is a good idea-gas fumes etc
    but how common are non ferrous tools(other than the military maybe)
    1998 suburban-
    1/2 ton

199500 miles
    River
    Ridge,LA

Quote Originally Posted by phoebeisis View Post
    Non Ferrous tools-
    yikes where do you get non ferrous tools?
    What are the tools made of? Bronze Titanium Hard Aluminum maybe?
    Guess that is a good idea-gas fumes etc
    but how common are non ferrous tools(other than the military maybe)
    I've never even seen non steel based tools for sale anywhere...

Also why does it seem every Vortec Burb has fuel pump issues and goes through them as often as they go through tires. I have my factory pump in my Tahoe, at least to my knowledge I do, and its still running strong after 202,500+ miles. I know the pump works harder because the Burb is longer, but unless both Tahoe and Suburban use the same pump it shouldn't matter because the pump should be built for the truck.

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

Legend

River Ridge Louisiana-4 miles W of New Orleans-didn't flood-water stopped 800 yards away.

Conlan-Rose

Come to think of it-neither have I??
    Maybe I saw them in some Hinderberg movie-?? Aluminum wrenches or maybe bronze

Bet USAF-Greg-might have used them in the USAF- they -military-spare no expense tool wise-and they sure as heck are sensitive to fire and sparks -dealing with all that fuel-fuel tanks-ammunition-

Greg-what is the story on those non ferrous tools?? Where did you become aware of them??
    Pretty sure I saw them in some Zepplin movie?? Boy talk about a bad freakin' idea- bags FULL of Hydrogen gas-
    and they had a SMOKING ROOM on those Zepplins(sic can't spell-never could)

Maybe I'll check ebay-bet bronze and aluminum wrenches screwdrivers are for sale

Knock on wood-I bought my 1998 Suburban-assembled in mexico 1997- in June 2007 with 195,000 miles on it
    now 223,500 miles-still runs great-no fuel pump problems-not sure when or if the original owner replaced the fuel pump-do they ever last 16 years 223,000 miles??
    Could my fuel pump be original-in which case I should get ready to replace it?
    Thanks
    charlie
    1998 suburban-
    1/2 ton

199500 miles
    River
    Ridge,LA

Charlie based on how often I see members talking about replacing Burb pumps I bet its not original. Best plan is to add the part to your amazon wish list so if it does go out you just have to add it to your cart. I've done that for many parts for my truck so I don't have to look for them.

Also isn't steel stronger than aluminum and bronze.. so trying to use a weaker metal to remove steel bolts sounds like a dud idea.

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

Legend

Conlan
    Thanks for info- yes I doubt it is original.
    I'll dial it up on amazon-is the best bet to get a Delco pump-not aftermarket?

I checked Ebay-found some bronze hammers-"non sparking"-expensive of course
    and some bronze non sparking flat screwdrivers-expensive also
    No aluminum bladed screwdrivers-as you say too soft weak
    Bronze can be pretty strong-roughly like Iron I think- but not as tough or elastic as steel -brittle I think-and obviously pricy
    1998 suburban-
    1/2 ton

199500 miles
    River
    Ridge,LA

I say Delco would be the best since its the factory one that has proven its self.