GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 4L60e Trans problem

1996 Siverado four wheel drive not working and transmission has no forward gears but does have reverse. If I pull the 10amp trans fuse to go into limp home mode and by putting gear selector in overdrive or drive, I have third gear only and also have reverse. There is no check engine light unless I pull fuse. Scanner only has PO; 753, 758, 1860, and 1886 only when trans fuse is pulled. Has anyone seen this kinda problem before. I searched wide and far on the web and cant seem to find this kinda problem anywhere. Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Likes silverhobey liked this post

This sounds pretty strange to me but I'm clueless to transmissions. Maybe @Pikey or @tbplus10 or @edsmagichands will see this and be of more help

If at first you don't succeed, chances are, you are using too small of a cheater bar

Current:
    1999 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 | 5.3 Vortec | Spectre Cold Air Intake | TransDapt TBS | Hypertech 30005 Tune | 2005 Chevy Tails | Denali headlights | AWS Bug Shield | 265/75/16 Mastercraft Courser A/T | "Ghetto" painted tailgate | Boss HD Speakers | 2005 Overhead Console | Dual Thrush Turbo Mufflers
    Future:
    Bigger Amp Alternator | Electric Fans | Oil/Trans Fluid cooler | Re-done exhaust | Paint | Interior Restoration/upgrade with newer model stuff | Window Visors (In channel) | Tint | Low-Profile Tool Box | LEDs throughout stock cab locations | And whatever is spurr of the moment
    US Navy Sailor :sign0011:

Have you checked the fluid level?

I know that may be a silly question, but it is the most common problem in an auto box.
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

I checked transmission fluid and its full

Quote Originally Posted by CWolf View Post
    1996 Siverado four wheel drive not working and transmission has no forward gears but does have reverse. If I pull the 10amp trans fuse to go into limp home mode and by putting gear selector in overdrive or drive, I have third gear only and also have reverse. There is no check engine light unless I pull fuse. Scanner only has PO; 753, 758, 1860, and 1886 only when trans fuse is pulled. Has anyone seen this kinda problem before. I searched wide and far on the web and cant seem to find this kinda problem anywhere. Your advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Welcome To The Site...........regarding the Trouble Codes that you've mentioned above.....P0753 P0758, and P1860 .....below is some Information that may be able to help you.

• P0753 1-2 Shift Solenoid Valve Electrical (Shift Solenoid A Electrical)
    • P0758 2-3 Shift Solenoid Valve Electrical (Shift Solenoid B Electrical)
    • Transmission runs only in 2nd Gear. This is known as running in LIMP IN MODE.

****Below is a G.M. Technical Service Bulletin...that maybe able to help, its regarding Trouble Codes....P0753, P0758, and P1860,

Bulletin No.: 01-07-30-002E

Date: September 23, 2005

TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN

Subject: Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) On, Transmission Stuck in Second or Third Gear, Instrument Cluster Inoperative (Verify and Repair Source of Voltage Loss In Transmission Solenoid Power Supply Circuit)

Models:
    2006 and Prior GM Passenger Cars and Light Duty Trucks
    2005-2006 HUMMER H2
    2006 HUMMER H3
    2005-2006 Saab 9-7X

With 4L60-E, 4L65-E, 4L80-E or 4L85-E Automatic Transmission (RPOs M30, M32, M33, MT1, MN8)

Supersede:
    This bulletin is being revised to update model years, add additional models and add additional diagnostic information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 01-07-30-002D (Section 07 - Transmission/Transaxle).

Condition:
    Some Customers May Comment on One or More of the Following Conditions:
    ....The Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) is ON.
    ....The Transmission is Defaulted to Second Gear (4L80/85-E)
    ....The Transmission is Defaulted to Third Gear (4L60/65-E)
    ....The Instrument Cluster is Inoperative.

Upon Investigation:
    One or All of the Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) P0740, P0753, P0758, P0785, P0787, P0973, P0976, P1860, P2761, P2764 and P2769 May Be Set Depending on the Vehicle.

Cause:
    The most likely cause of this condition may be a loss of voltage to the Transmission Solenoid power supply circuit. This condition may also be the result of an incorrect installation of an aftermarket electronic device such as a remote starter or alarm system.

Correction:
    Important: If the vehicle is equipped with an aftermarket electronic device and the DTCs are being set when the device is being used, verify that the appropriate fuse is being supplied battery voltage during operation. If voltage is not present at this fuse, these DTCs will be set due to lack of voltage at the solenoids. This condition is most likely to occur with an incorrectly installed remote starting system. If this is the case, refer the customer to the installer of the system for corrections. ANY REPAIRS DUE TO AFTERMARKET INSTALLATION OF ACCESSORIES IS A NON-WARRANTABLE ITEM.

1. With the ignition switch in the RUN position, test for battery voltage at the circuit fuse in the transmission solenoid power supply circuit. Refer to the appropriate SI Document for the transmission solenoid power supply circuit information.

2. If battery voltage is present at the Fuse, inspect the Ignition voltage circuit between the fuse and the Transmission for possible opens.

3. If battery voltage is not present at the fuse, test for continuity between the Fuse and the Ignition Switch. If NO continuity is between the fuse and the Ignition Switch, repair the open in that circuit.

4. If you have continuity between the Fuse and the Ignition Switch, the most likely cause is the ignition switch. Replace the Ignition Switch using the appropriate Ignition Switch Replacement procedure in SI. Refer to group number 2.188 of the parts catalog for part description and usage of the ignition switch.
    Last edited by 99'HEARTBEAT; 10-21-2013 at 10:49 AM. Reason: Added Infor.

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

7. Thanks silverhobey thanked for this post
    Likes Pikey, silverhobey liked this post