GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default question about converting 2WD Z71 Tahoe into 4WD

How is it going out there in the Chevy world. I have recently purchased a 2009 Z71 Tahoe (not 4X4) thumbs down on my part! but it was for the wife and she liked it. Well we move to WV and I was thinking of converting it to a 4X4 vs trading it in, too much negative equity in this one right now. Has anyone done this before or tried to do this before? if so is the cost crazy? Was there any issues with programming in the ECM or anything like that? Any info is helpful.
    Last edited by ChevyFan; 10-20-2013 at 08:47 PM.

Trade it for a 4x4 if you want one.....Converting it is a major job, totally different frame, transmission, suspension, wiring etc.....Its not worth your while.

If you have the skills and time to tackle this project, at least a month of solid evenings and weekends, welding and fabricating skills with blueprint and real good steering and suspension geometry knowledge, add about $4000 for parts and your in there.
    Most shops are up to $10,000 for this particular mod.
    Either buy a beater 4x4 to use in real bad weather or wait until your in a better financial situation on this truck and trade it.
    Lots of work involved, and the first cut on a new truck normally slows or stops the project.

Long post short: buy a $1000 winter beater to get you by until you can trade it for a 4x4. You'll be better off
    Chuckie!!!

WOW, even if I am just looking to go with stock stuff. It would really be just for safety for the wife.

4wd trucks and 2wd trucks use totally different frames, suspensions, steering parts, axles, and have difrent interior components and additional 4wd control systems. The easiest way to do it might be getting a second Tahoe that's body is ruined and moving the body of your truck to the other Tahoe's frame. Then there would be alot of wireing to be done and such.

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

Quote Originally Posted by Jack 06D-MAX View Post
    WOW, even if I am just looking to go with stock stuff. It would really be just for safety for the wife.
    Ok spend $2-3k lol

Yeah. It's not like it was back 30 years ago if you wanted to go 4wd for a conversion. It's a totally different ballgame.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    * I've been saying for years that I was going to change my username, and I finally did.

Welcome to the site though. Lol

Legend

Blog Entries

Welcome to the Club!!!

*****Thread moved here to correct section of Forum*****

Mike (Denver, CO) - 2008 Sierra 1500 Z71 SLE 5.3L 4WD

SUSPENSION: Rancho 4" Suspension Lift; Rancho RS9000XL Shocks; Rancho Skid Plates; Rancho MyRide Wireless Shock Controller;
    TIRES:
    BFG All Terrain KO 315/70/17
    DRIVE TRAIN: 4.56 Gears; Detroit TrueTrac Differential; True Cool 40k Transmission Cooler
    PERFORMANCE: DiableSport Predator Tuner; Custom Tuned by Diablew; Magnaflow Exhaust; AFE Cold Air Intake
    ELECTRONICS: Kenwood DNX6180 Touchscreen; Subthump box w/10" Kicker; Driver Information Center (DIC); Rear View Camera
    ACCESSORIES: Westin Brush/Grill Gaurd; Westin Nerf Bars; Truxedo Tonneau; 20% Tint; Tow Mirrors w/Heat & Signals