GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 98 gmc c2500 stalling issues. need help!

I have a 1998 gmc c2500 2wd p/u. it started out randomly stalling when I applied the brakes but would only do it on every once in a while, it would always start right back up. I since have had problems with it not wanting to start at all and when it does start it will either die just sitting at idle or when put in reverse. I had to drive it this morning and it stalled on me and was very difficult to get started, then I had to drive with both feet just to get to my destination. I am in serious need of help with this, so if someone could help me I would really appreciate it. -josh-

I would probably start with a few basic tests:

1) Pull codes from the computer, especially for no starts caused by problems in the ignition system. Mine stalled on me once and would not restart. Pulled codes and saw that the problem was related to the crankshaft position sensor (CKP). Further diagnosis and we found the wires going down to the CKP had fallen across the exhaust manifold and burnt through.
    2) Test fuel pressure. If your no start is a fuel issue, then your best place to start is to test the fuel pressure. The fuel system on these is supposed to operate near 60 psi. People report hard starts, no starts, and other symptoms if the fuel pressure gets below 45-50 psi.
    That's where I would start on something like this.
    '98 K1500 Suburban LS 5.7 L 4L60E NV246 ARB
    '92 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0 L A4LD BW13-54 Trac-loc rear
    "My toys were the greasy cogs and springs and pistons that lay around all over the place, and these, I can promise you, were far more fun to play with than most of the plastic rubbish children are given nowadays." Danny in Roald Dahl's Danny The Champion of the World

Also, check charging system (alt, battery) and condition of plugs and wires. However, since your problems typically occur during braking situations, check vaccum system and brake booster for leaks.
    1999 Chevy LS Crewcab 2WD (OBS)
    5.7, 4L80E, GT4/G80