GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default locking differential question

Hey guys I have an 08 Silverado ext cab 4x4. My truck didn't come with a tow package and is not z71, so it doesn't have the g80 locker in the rear end. I've been thinking about putting one in but the prices for a new one are lots more than I want to spend. So here's my question: if I were to go to a junk yard and get a rear axle off a similar truck that has a locker in it, could I just swap the locker into my truck? I have the 3.73 gears now will that make a difference in what locker I need to find?

Thanks for the help!

In theory that would work as long as you find an axle that is for your truck, has the right gears and is the locker. Once you get the axle you should change the fluid and inspect the gears inside.

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

You can do it even if you don't find the same gears. Just swap your gears over. If you find one with the correct ratio you will still have to set it up properly. You can't just take it out of one and put it in another. It will need to be shimmed and the backlash set by someone who knows what they are doing. If you do not do this you not going to save money when you have to buy new gears also. I think that you may find some new lockers out there that are not the G80. You could always get a Detroit locker or something like that. I don't know how those prices compare to the G80. The G80 is not really the strongest "locker" out there. I have seen many explode when people were offroad. Yes, they were at high rpm and a pretty good speed when the locker decided to engage. But, the fact is that they fail under any hard conditions. My Detroit Auburn locker is much stronger than the G80 and I have beat the crap out of it. I blew the g80 out of my 2wd silverado driving in the snow. I never took it off road. I just went from a really snowy patch to a wet patch (not dry) at about 20 mph and "boom" g80 gone.
    Last edited by Pikey; 10-21-2013 at 02:59 PM.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Thanks guys. So I would have to find a 3.73 axle with a locker then and switch all the gears too? Or is it possible to just take the g80 out of any axle (4.10, 3.73, 3.42) and put it in my truck with the axle and gears I already have? I really have no idea of these things so all the help is greatly appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by NeverStuck4X4 View Post
    Thanks guys. So I would have to find a 3.73 axle with a locker then and switch all the gears too? Or is it possible to just take the g80 out of any axle (4.10, 3.73, 3.42) and put it in my truck with the axle and gears I already have? I really have no idea of these things so all the help is greatly appreciated!

you would have to unbolt the ring gear from your carrier and bolt it onto the new one.

Are you dead set on getting a G80? If you simply want some kind of locker, installing a lunchbox locker (like the detroit ezlocker or powertrax lockright) is usually cheaper and easier than a full carrier replacement locker, like the G80. These aftermarket lockers behave differently than the G80 (normally locked, then differentiate as needed. The G80 is normally open, then locks when needed). Just trying to give you more options (for better or for worse).
    '98 K1500 Suburban LS 5.7 L 4L60E NV246 ARB
    '92 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0 L A4LD BW13-54 Trac-loc rear
    "My toys were the greasy cogs and springs and pistons that lay around all over the place, and these, I can promise you, were far more fun to play with than most of the plastic rubbish children are given nowadays." Danny in Roald Dahl's Danny The Champion of the World

Sr. Mechanic

how would we know if our truck even had a locker? I have a 06, 2500 HD, 4x4. Should it have one?

I mainly said g80 because I think I could get one from a junk yard easy enough and hopefully it would be cheaper than buying something online. I spent awhile this morning looking at different brands and electric vs air vs auto locking and they're all $550 and up. I should be able to find just a g80 at a scrap yard for cheaper than that right? Hopefully....

Quote Originally Posted by NeverStuck4X4 View Post
    I mainly said g80 because I think I could get one from a junk yard easy enough and hopefully it would be cheaper than buying something online. I spent awhile this morning looking at different brands and electric vs air vs auto locking and they're all $550 and up. I should be able to find just a g80 at a scrap yard for cheaper than that right? Hopefully....
    I would suggest that you google "G80 explosion" or something like that. You can find pics of what you should look for when you you buy a used one. It would stink to buy one, install it, and find out that the teeth that engage when there is tire slippage are missing or broken. Here is a video of the inside of one, the thing he is playing touching with the screw driver is what usually breaks

I'm a little surprised that everything you are finding is $550+. Are all of these full carrier replacements units? Summitracing, randy's ring and pinion, and similar places are asking 300-400 for a lockright. If you are interested in this route, be sure you are distinguishing between the carrier replacement lockers and the "lunchbox" lockers that only replace the "spider" gears.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast