GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
    I live just south of Philadelphia, small community that sits on the Delaware River.

Question Ok, Need a little advice ! belt is squeaky when cold ?

I've got a squeaky serpentine belt on my 1990 305ci. V8. The belt is new, but I can't get it to quiet down, any advice welcome !

It may be a warn pulley somewhere. Check all the pulleys for any grinding feelings or any not smooth rotation.

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

Provided the pulley tension is correct the next step would be using some belt dressing, in a pinch you could run a bar of soap across the belt to quiet it.
    But since you say the belt is new check the tension first.

I live just south of Philadelphia, small community that sits on the Delaware River.

Ok, it's not so much a squeaky, it's more of a "Chirp" just quick little "chirps" till it's warm, belt is brand new ?

As stated above. I would remove the belt and start spinning the pulleys by hand. Chances are that you have a bad bearing in one of them. Then reinstall the belt and make sure it is properly tensioned. My ac belt tensioner pulley does the exact same thing you mentioned. I replaced it last fall with a gates pulley and it started making noise about halfway through the winter. I squirted some lube on it and it stops for a week or so. It is under warranty I just have not swapped it out yet.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)