GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Auto Ride Question

Hi, I am new to this forum and hope someone may be able to answer a question. I have a 2003 Suburban that has burned up 3 compressors.
    I think they fail due to a horrible location and Minnesota winters. I have also replaced the rear shocks. The third pump has not cycled for a couple months now and the last time I did hear it didn't sound good. I have never had any system failure notifications on the dash. I don't tow with this vehicle anymore so the leveling system is really not needed. My question is this: do the shocks still act as basic shock absorbers even if the pump is not working? I recently put new tires on it and don't want to shorten the tire life due to shocks. Also, I really feel any difference in the ride between when the system is working and not. I hope someone out there has a good understanding of this system and can shed some light on this for me. Thanks

The shocks will act as normal, as long as there is air in the sealed system. If it finds a way out because of a line leak, a compressor leak, or an internal shock leak then you will basically have no shocks. The shocks use the air to "cushion" the piston. You can always switch to bilstein shocks all the way around. But, that will drop the rear about an inch. So, you would need to replace the rear coil springs. (Just did this on my truck) Then you need to add resistors to the connector at all 4 shocks to eliminate the message that will show up on your DIC. I think that it cost my $260 for all four shocks. The springs are $90 a piece. But, it you are patient and look around you can get them cheaper. (Found mine for $49 each).

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

3. Thanks richinmn thanked for this post

Thanks for the info. I think first I will check the leveler sensors, but, my guess is I will have to pony up for another pump. I can't believe the GM engineers thought it a good idea to place that pump directly behind the rear wheel, in the line of fire of water, dirt, road salt, snow, rocks, road kill and whatever ! Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by richinmn View Post
    Thanks for the info. I think first I will check the leveler sensors, but, my guess is I will have to pony up for another pump. I can't believe the GM engineers thought it a good idea to place that pump directly behind the rear wheel, in the line of fire of water, dirt, road salt, snow, rocks, road kill and whatever ! Thanks again
    It may be cheaper to just get rid of the system.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)