GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default What Maintenance Manual?

I have an '89 GMC 1500 4x4 and I am wondering if my best bet is the generic Chiltons Manual or is there a better one or a "Bible" that you would recommend? -Thanks-

Quote Originally Posted by Fine Burban View Post
    I have an '89 GMC 1500 4x4 and I am wondering if my best bet is the generic Chiltons Manual or is there a better one or a "Bible" that you would recommend? -Thanks-
    Chiltons tends to have info missing many times. You should get complete wiring diagrams and torque specs for many things in the Chiltons. I have one for my truck and it has the info I need most of the time. When I can't find what I need I just search the web. The best manual or "Bible" that you can get would be the one from GM. I have the driveability and diagnostic manual (covers anything that you would fix on the truck other than a trans rebuild) , and the electric manual from GM for my 1995 silverado. They are about 3" thick each. They are about as complete as you can get. That being said, they are usually a few hundred dollars each. In most cases the chiltons will do just fine.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

I like the idea of the shop manuals... I would imagine I have to goto GM to get one? Thanks for the heads-up on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Fine Burban View Post
    I like the idea of the shop manuals... I would imagine I have to goto GM to get one? Thanks for the heads-up on that.
    you might find one on ebay

not that cheap, but here is one
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/400429358513?lpid=82

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

5. Thanks Fine Burban thanked for this post

I am a fan of Haynes but like Pikey stated about the Chiltons, Haynes tends to have the same fault from time to time. But, for shadetree mechanics who need an easy to follow manual for the majority of work that you'll be doing and LOTS of pictures, Haynes is hard to beat for the price...

7. Thanks Fine Burban thanked for this post

Thanks USAF. I will look into Haynes for the time being until I can find the Shop manuals.

Anytime. I think you should be able to find them at Autozone...