GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Help! Engine Swap and Trans Question

I couldnt think of another title.

I have a 90 suburban: TBI 350/700r4 4wd Problem 1: the motor rejected rod #2 so I got with a buddy and snagged a 350 from him that was in a 68 camaro.

Specs: 72 c10 block/fuelie heads/ possible cylinder work/ bigger cam That being said, I'm not so sure the knock sensor is going to like the cam size. Were gonna find out.

Possible problem 2: the 700r4 is a gen 2 so there is no speedo cable involved. Just the speed sensor.

Here's where I'm hoping someone has a solution. If I hook up this transmission and install a carb and 4 pin ignition module in the factory tranny, will it still shift right? I know the motor will start and run, but don't know if the computer will still shift the tranny right. I'm almost positive torque converter lockup will have to be hooked up to a push button, that is no problem. Can someone help me out here....
    Chuckie!!!

Running edelbrock performer RPM Intake
    Chuckie!!!

Nobody has ran in to this before?
    Chuckie!!!

I changed your title, making it more detailed in hopes to get you some responses.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    I changed your title, making it more detailed in hopes to get you some responses.
    thanks lol I had a brain fart from hell when naming the thread
    Chuckie!!!

Any help is appreciated
    Chuckie!!!

The 700R4 is not computer controlled. It is controlled by the TV cable controlling line pressure. The TV cable hooks up to the carb/TBI throttle arm and if not adjusted right, can and will cook the tranny in short order. I'm not sure how the converter lockup is handled off-hand, but I'll try to look it up tonight.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 265K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

Quote Originally Posted by Crawdaddy View Post
    The 700R4 is not computer controlled. It is controlled by the TV cable controlling line pressure. The TV cable hooks up to the carb/TBI throttle arm and if not adjusted right, can and will cook the tranny in short order. I'm not sure how the converter lockup is handled off-hand, but I'll try to look it up tonight.
    thanks craw daddy! That's good news! Will it need readjustment since I'm using the Eddie intake? The bolt hole height appears to be the same as oe intake. So I have my doubts, but confirmation is comforting lol
    Chuckie!!!

I just confirmed that you will need a new lockup harness if you intend to ditch the computer. So long as the throttle arm on the carb can be adapted to the TV cable, you'll be fine. Here's a link on how to properly set up the TV cable: http://www.cpttransmission.com/tech_tvcable.htm
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 265K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

Quote Originally Posted by Crawdaddy View Post
    I just confirmed that you will need a new lockup harness if you intend to ditch the computer. So long as the throttle arm on the carb can be adapted to the TV cable, you'll be fine. Here's a link on how to properly set up the TV cable: http://www.cpttransmission.com/tech_tvcable.htm
    thank you. I appreciate the help. I'm not terribly great at finding these things even with a search engine lol
    Chuckie!!!