GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Does the third row seat need to be installed in order for it to be opened?

I'm selling my third row seat because I have a custom cargo area so it's sitting in my garage and I have it up for sale on craigslist. I can't get it open for the life of me and the one person that wants to buy it won't come down unless I can get it open to take pics to prove it's mint. You think they would just take my word and come down and we could install it to see it's mint but then another person called wanting it and they wanted the same thing. I could really use the 300 I'm asking, which is a steal, but I just can't open it up and it would take me hours and much labor to remove my cargo setup so I can install it and open it. It worked fine before I removed it. So does anyone know if it needs to be actually secured to floor of burb in order to open?

Ad here-

http://stcloud.craigslist.org/pts/4027383524.html

When they're installed its a 1-2-3 strap operation pull to get them open. I've opened and closed this type of 3rd row seat a bunch of times ... not sure if I've ever tried it while out of the vehicle. Maybe you could try putting a metal bar or something in the front catch to make it think that its in the vehicle?

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    * I've been saying for years that I was going to change my username, and I finally did.

What yr? I have a 1999 and it will open/close in or out of vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat10 View Post
    What yr? I have a 1999 and it will open/close in or out of vehicle.
    That's what I was thinking, I remember my kids opening them on the ground now that I think about it.

Is it frozen up @unsub? I assume that it's been out of the vehicle for a long time? Get some wd-40 and hit the hinges really good.

I don't think that mine will open out of the truck. It is an 05 yukon

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

I think the way the 3rd row seat opens varies greatly from year to year. Like an earlier post, mine can open in or out of the truck. It's a 1998 and on the back of the seat it's got a lever that folds it in half. Later years must have changed... Sorry I cannot be of assistance. Best of luck, Greg

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by unsub View Post
    I'm selling my third row seat because I have a custom cargo area so it's sitting in my garage and I have it up for sale on craigslist. I can't get it open for the life of me and the one person that wants to buy it won't come down unless I can get it open to take pics to prove it's mint. You think they would just take my word and come down and we could install it to see it's mint but then another person called wanting it and they wanted the same thing. I could really use the 300 I'm asking, which is a steal, but I just can't open it up and it would take me hours and much labor to remove my cargo setup so I can install it and open it. It worked fine before I removed it. So does anyone know if it needs to be actually secured to floor of burb in order to open?

Ad here-

http://stcloud.craigslist.org/pts/4027383524.html
    By the way, I clicked on your craigslist ad link and it says it was removed by the author. Am I safe to assume you sold the seat?

Thanks everyone, got it open. I was just pulling the lever which raises and lowers the backrest itself, I was thinking pushing down or pulling up on seats while messing with lever would somehow engage/disengage it but it did not. I got behind the seat, and the center bottom back catch piece needs to be pushed in, basically use finger to push clamp/spring in until hear click and then the raise/lower backrest lever on the side can be engaged fully. So Steve had it right except it was the rear catch that needed to be fooled.

Irony is the two people that were so interested and asked for pics of it open were both no shows. lol Fricking craigslist. I sold my running boards last night at least.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1038.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	27.0 KB 
ID:	55780

Yeah. Best bet it to never hold something. First come with cash gets. Glad it got open though, looks comfy.