GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default air bags off-road

i need something to lift the rear of my truck when i load it up!!
    the weight distribution and front end alignment goes to hell when the rear comes down almost 4"

i was wondering if anyone has installed these
    http://www.suspensionconnection.com/...r-springs.html
    on their truck and still hits trails with it

important note, the K15 Blazer unlike the suburban or pickup truck does NOT have a rear sway bar, the axle can actually articulate quite a bit....
    i guess i COULD install limit straps, but i dont want to...
    i just want something to help carry a crammed vehicle. not lift it, or firm up the springs, or damage the alignment which makes me burn through tires faster.

so.... thoughts?
    theyre $50 off right now through air lift so... i kinda want to buy them unless i hear otherwise
    Gas was $1.83 when Obama took office.....

I've known a lot of guys who never complained about putting some type of air bag system in their truck.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    Follow Us Please: facebook.com/gmtruckclub | twitter.com/gmtruckclub
    Support GMTC: Help the site, contribute today

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    I've known a lot of guys who never complained about putting some type of air bag system in their truck.
    Same here.

Sr. Mechanic

it cant be too bad of an idea, caddys have used air shocks for years! Go to the junk yard and get the system off an old caddy! Use the air pump with the auto leveler, and hook it to the airbags! But I'm thinking your gonna lose some articulation if the bags attach to the frame and the springs! Too much droop might tear the bags?????

Quote Originally Posted by zuki82 View Post
    it cant be too bad of an idea, caddys have used air shocks for years! Go to the junk yard and get the system off an old caddy! Use the air pump with the auto leveler, and hook it to the airbags! But I'm thinking your gonna lose some articulation if the bags attach to the frame and the springs! Too much droop might tear the bags?????
    Precisly. Im worried I could rip a bag with big axle flex... remember, no factory sway bar in the rear. .. would bolt on helper springs be a better idea?

Sr. Mechanic

I'm thinking "yes" to the helper springs, if you really do the off road stuff! But that's just me! I like big flex!

look into a roadmaster system, IIRC they only bolt to the leaf packs, and not the frame.

Alex

2011 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3 Z71 4X4 Stealth Gray Metallic / 2004 Chevy Impala LS 3.8 Cappuccino

Tow mirrors - Diablew Tuned - Flowmaster Regular 40 - Ready Lift 2.5' lift - BFG LT A/T K/Os - Carr Light Wing - TruckLite LED lights - Optima Red Top - 50% Front Window Tint - Line-X bedliner - Airaid MIT - Tekonsha P2 - ARS Billet Grill - Fia custom fit seat covers

i did the helper spings
    taa-daaaaClick image for larger version. 

Name:	20131110_114056.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	70.6 KB 
ID:	56076

worked out pretty good, BUT, one of the leafs on the passenger side is split completely in 2 where the center bolt goes through......

so i clamped the thing down extra tight and am looking for a replacement stock leaf spring pack X(
    but over all... i am happy with the add-a-leafs
    the suspension feels beefy now =)